Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Restoring my NT4SP6 login gateway

Status
Not open for further replies.

nettdd

MIS
Oct 31, 2001
US
Sounds innocent enough. I swapped PC's after frying my motherboard. Installed my old hard drive and everything worked OK.

Logged on to the network OK but noticed my workstation still had the old PC name. Took steps to rename the PC by using Server Mgr to remove the PC from the domain.

Rebooted PC and after a lengthy boot sequence a CAD box appears where the NT logon used to appear. After about a minute an error msg: "The Ghost service failed to start."

At this point both the mouse and keyboard are hosed.

Any thoughts, suggestions before I just throw up my hands and reimage?

If by "installed my old hard drive" you mean that you moved the HD from the dead PC to the new one, then the name would not have changed.

To rename the PC, you should have logged on to domain, then used the identification tab in your network properties to rename the PC. The name change would be reflected on the PDC as well.

To fix your problem, you might try booting in VGA mode as local admin, then moving the PC from the domain to a workgroup. You would then reboot, log on to the local PC as admin, rename it, reboot, then log on as local admin and add it to domain using the identification tab in Networking.

I hope this helps... A+, N+, MCP

Thanks for the reply.

No, everything worked ok with the old PC name after swapping the hard drives.

At that point I proceeded to rename the PC - (we use the same procedure).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back