Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Restoring mksysb from POWER4 to POWER5

Status
Not open for further replies.

patounet

Technical User
May 9, 2003
FR
I have a new AIX serveur with POWER5 architecture and iwould restore an mksysb made from an POWER4, It do not work properly. Can anyone tell me it's possible to do that ?
Thanks for your help
Patrick

the power4 system has to be at AIX5.2 ML4 that is the min per IBM

I think Plamb meant to say the power5 minimum is AIX 5.2 ML4.
So make sure your power4 system is 5.2 ML4 and you will also need to do a Migration install / restore to the power5 machine, so you will need IBM AIX install media (CD) of at least AIX 5.2 ML4 and it must be the same level / ML as the system yor are trying to restore.
When you need to load a power5 machine you need apars / ptfs to get it running as intended, so if you load 5.2ML4 or higher or 5.3, check the IBM website and pick up the latest patches once it is loaded.

thanks everybody
the power4 & power5 system are at ML4 (5.2). The hardware is not the same (scsi, rootvg, etc...), should I modify stanzas in the image.data file.
Patrick

Hi, If you have a prompted Restore then you dont need to modify your bosinst.data or image.data

If you make the Restore with NIM then you need to modify your image.data and bosinst.data

I prefer to work with NIM because i had problems with CD Restore an the Kernel Version.

Thanks.
I have restored my mksysb on this new machine and I want to to recover VG but my san is not connected dor the moment, how can i see my VG in any case or should I restore them when I connect my san ?

if the san has your vg intact just have it zoned for your new adapters then import and varyon , and mount

Yes my VG are instacts, but how can i make this for recover us ? wich commands ?
thanks !

NEW MESSAGE:

In fact i've made an generic mksysb and ihaven't got my VG in CuDv and how can i recover them ?

Regards

Patrick

It doesn't work. AIX can't see my hdisk(x) or there is no PVID

Hi

cfgmgr
lspv -> Do you see Disks ?
If not check Connections, SAN, Firmware Level
If you see the Disk:
chdev -l <hdiskx> -a pv=clear
chdev -l <hdiskx> -a pv=yes
importvg -y <vgname> <hdiskx>

Status