Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Restoring last known good menu

Status
Not open for further replies.

Daizzy

Technical User
Nov 13, 2002
GB
Anyone know how to restore last known good menu without ERD?

Last Known Good Configuration
If Windows NT does not start in VGA mode, start Windows NT using the last known good configuration. To do so, restart your computer and press the SPACEBAR when you see the "Press spacebar NOW to invoke Hardware Profile/Last Known Good menu" message. The last known good configuration works only if you have not successfully logged on since the problem began.

If the last known good configuration works, see the "Driver" section in this article. If the last known good configuration does not work, try to recover your system with the Emergency Repair Disk. Please see your Windows NT documentation for more information about the Emergency Repair Diskgood

(from

Cheers wolluff.

I don't have the original ERD, our clients old service provider didn't make or keep them.

Soooo I made one from another one of their machines unfortunately it's lost it's users - any ideas how I put them back, bearing in mind it won't even let me log on as an administrator?

Sorry - don't quite understand the last bit. You've made ERD from another machine (it won't work with first machine anyway) - but that machine has 'lost' its users. What do you mean? (if you can't log on, how do you know?)

I can't log on as any of the users that should be able to logon to this machine, or as the ones that should be able to logonto the other machine I took the ERD from.

Even the Administrator user fails to logon - I've done the usual stuff of making sure the caps lock etc is not on.

I was wondering if there was a way copying an admin by loading it up from a 98 boot disk?

Are you in a domain? You're not getting local and domain accounts confused?

You can create a linux based boot disk which will allow you to reset local administrator's password - see
PS. Unless your NT is using FAT filestore, you can't do anything from a win98 boot floppy. If it is using FAT then tip I've seen is to remove the SAM (C:\WINNT\system32\config\SAM) file (user database) & you should then be able to log on as Adminstrator with no password. I've tried this, and I didn't get to a logon prompt, just a blue screen (may have done something wrong - but I HAVE used the linux disk above and it works).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back