Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Restoring information store

Status
Not open for further replies.

hchman

MIS
Mar 28, 2001
US
I need to restore the information store on our Exchange server. We had a hacker get by our firewall and do some damage to a couple mailboxes. Can I simply restore the information store that was backed up last night and will this restore everyones mailboxes?

Yes, you can restore information store using "isinteg -path", located in your exchsrvr\bin directory.

I'm sorry. Could I have a little more details? What is this restoring and what are the parameters?

Folow the steps...
1- Restore from backup the directory \exchsrvr\mdbdata and \exchsrvr\dsadata directory.
2- Open msdos prompt and enter in \exchsrvr\mdbdata directory.
3- Execute "ISINTEG -PATCH", and not -path, as I said before...
This command will read your priv.edb and the configuration present in your dsadata and restore your mailboxes and messages present in your priv.edb file.
This process takes about 20 secs in my priv.edb file (4Gb).
Ok?

May I ask how many people are getting a full backup of the priv.edb database, and if so, how are you doing it? I was under the impression the only way you can back up the database as a whole is to do an offline backup. If that is the case, do most people really stop the Exchange services in order to do this?

for on line backup no need to stop the exchange service , for your case if you have damge in some mailboxes , you can restore them from your brick-level backup if you have .

If you use a brick level backup like Backup Exec, you back up BOTH Exchange Store in total and each email.

With this, you can restore the whole inbox for one person, a single email or the whole server.

There should be no need to isinteg -patch the server if it is running and the BE engine retains the integrity of the database.

What backup software are you using?

The basic backup is for the information stores. Restoring the information store restores all mailboxes.

For some extra money, you get brick level backup software. This allows you to restore individual mailboxes or even individual messages.

Hanson

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back