Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Restoring Exchange

Status
Not open for further replies.

khyron

Technical User
Nov 21, 2000
CA
Hi, me again.

So I found out I have to restore the entire data store to get at the mailbox I want to recover. Fair enough.

I made a new exchange 5.5 server to receive the old stores - once that is up I'll get the mail I need and forward it to the main exchange.

However - when you go to do a recover of exchange databases you have NO option of where to put them. I was on my production exchange server - and if I hit that recover button, it stops all the services, and restores to THAT server only.

How can I tell it to restore my exchange stores to a different location??

Any assistance appreciated as I'm baffled at how complicated recovering mail is.

Khyron

Hey,

Just launch a directed recover from the server you want to restore to. In case you need a bit more help, ->

Launch NetWorker User for Exchange
Select Directed Recover, and select the client to restore from (make sure it's a client of the same backup server)
Select the appropriate save set (usually Pub and Priv store for individual mb restores)
Start the recover

That should cover it.. If that's not an option, you can try de-selecting the "start services after restore" option and copying the appropriate files to their destination. If you're not an Exchange guru, you may need the assistance of one to get the latter option to work.

Good Luck!

Khyron,

Unless I have I missed something, you can not do a redirected restore with Microsoft exchange. One needs to create the new server exactly as it is configured as the old one. This includes machine name, same hardware config, access from the domain in which the Exchange server was originally installed. Service packs on the Exchange application as well as service packs for NT. Load both the Legato client and Exchange BSM on this server. Then bring up the Legato GUI for exchange on the client and do the restore. The old exchange server can not be running at the same time. Check Legato web site as I believe there is a document that explains this further. In the beginning I had the same ideal as you - redirected recover. It will not work. I have successfully recovered an Exchange Information store in a test lab with a mirrored enviroment of what I have in production. It worked! You can use an original tape or clone. But one would have to scan in the index and media information into the test Legato backup server. Let me know if you get it working. Thanks

Hey,

We receive requests to restore mail and perform directed recovers on Exchange servers quite frequently, and it works fine. If you want to recover the entire box, that's one thing, but if you only want to recover the IS to retrieve mail, it's not too tough..

What problems have you encountered? If I can, I'll be happy to help you through them.

Good Luck!

Hi,

I have got data from old site of emails backed up by the exchange server.
I want to read the email.
What setup i have to do to get this going.
I also heard IS and DB . What are this?
Also what are Networker User for Exchange Server.
Do i have to have this and where?

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back