Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Restoring Excel 2003 to original configuration

Status
Not open for further replies.

susieb226

Instructor
May 7, 2004
US
Is there a quick way to restore excel to it's original configuration (including all user preferences and menu locations)? Is there a command switch that can be used for this? I need to do this before each excel class that I teach and it's time consuming to do this manually for 10 computers several times a week.

Thanks if you can help!

Susan

Seems to me that you do this anyway. I hoping you reset using Tools, Customize, Toolbars tab, Reset.

Even if you had a macro, you would still need to run it manually.

It may be a good idea to delete *.xlb file(s) before starting XL to remove any customization that may have been applied.

Member- AAAA Association Against Acronym Abusers

This does work for the toolbars but does not reset all of my tools>Options changes. It reset some, for example I turned my gridlines off, then deleted the.xlb file and when I reopened my my workbook the gridlines were back on. But it did not restore my change to the number of worksheets that opens with a new workbook.

Is there anything that will restore excel as if it has not been used before and reset all customizations including the Options?

for example, in Outlook you have the command prompt outlook /firstrun which makes outlook start as if it has never been run. Is there any comparable command for excel that anyone knows of?

Close Excel and go to Start, Run
type excel /unregserver

then, again
Start, Run
excel /regserver

The unregserver and regserver basically de-registers and re-registers Excel to give you excel's factory defaults.

my bad.

If the above doesn't work you may need to type the whole path where excel is located, including the extension exe.

You can finde the path by searching for excel.exe in windows explorer. But, you probably know that; you are a teacher.

Thanks. I'll look into this. although, how many times can you do this? Doesn't MS have a limit on the number of times you can register a piece of software? I would want to do this before each class and I have several each week.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back