Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Restoring .edb files onto a new server!

Status
Not open for further replies.

woodmar

MIS
Jun 2, 2003
NL
I am trying to duplicate my current exchange installation onto a new server, or basically, I want to “restore” the exchange databases on a freshly installed system.

Here are the steps I’ve followed so far:

1. Installed Windows NT 4.0 Server on a new hardware platform. (SP6 high enc, etc)
2. Installed Exchange 5.5 Enterprise with SP3. (that’s what I’m currently running)
3. Created partitions matching the source system.
4. Ran the optimizer to move the database files onto the appropriate drives.
5. Restore the PRIV.EDB, PUB.EDB, DIR.EDB and transaction logs onto the new system.
6. Ran a number of eseutil’s and isinteg tools, including isinteg –patch and eseutil /p, /r and /p

For some reason, the exchange services will not start after a restore… I am really stuck and now and the documentation on this specific problem is minimal.
The latest problem is the DS_E_COMMUNICATIONS problem and I know that the error comes from not being able to communicate with the services..!

Has anyone experienced this problem before, or does anyone have some good docs on restoring exchange databases?

Thanks a million!

oh, did not know that since i use sp4. Glad to hear you are back up.

First, I have update my FAQ to include the step of starting the SA and DS (starting the DS first will cause the SA to start).

Second, if you replace a server that is at SP4 with one that is at SP3, you will receive a service specific error -1105. If your old server is at SP3, you can successfully move the databases to a new one running SP4. The point being that the Exchange SP level on the new server must be EQUAL to or HIGHER than that of the old.

I have performed this procedure several times on servers that were only at SP3 and had no problem transferring to a new server that was also at SP3. However, if MS says that problems can occur with SP3, I will defer to their experience. I would also recommend that the new server be upgraded to SP4 in this situation.

Bob

p.s. All the positive comments on my FAQ are much appreciated!

If I do not have the same partitions will my recovery work on a new server?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back