Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Restoring Database

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sarky78

Programmer
Oct 19, 2000
GB
We have a schedule of backups for all of the databases that are currently on our servers. These are backed up using the backup database command and then selecting database complete from the backup type.

When i try to use these files to restore the database on another machine (we are upgrading to a new server running win2K server and SQL 7) i get an error message saying

"The backup set holds a backup of a database other than the existing 'databasename' database. Backup or restore terminated abnormally"

What is going on here, I have selected the database to restore to (which is blank) and selected the file that is created from the backup routine.

anyone got any ideas?

click on the options tab of the restore window
there you find the physical file names for the database
maybe the given path doew not exists on the new server - you may change the path in that dialog
now running?

all of the file names were correct but i did a force restore over existing database, and the database is now there and working

thanks for your help !

I must create the Database and all table first, after this you can restore the data. Use scripting database to do this task.

You don't need to create a database before restoring. You can restore to a completely new database. However, you must name the database rather than leave the name blank. If you are restoring on a different server, you will restore from a file rather than a backup set. If the database name you want to restore to already exists, you must specify "force restore over existing database." Terry L. Broadbent
Programming and Computing Resources

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back