Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Restoring an SQL database to another server

Status
Not open for further replies.

deathstar

MIS
Aug 28, 2001
CA
I have an interesting question to anyone that may know the answer. I have Backup Exec 11D with AOFO & SQL agents, my backups are running fine to my B2D disks and tapes. I have been asked to restore a database to confirm if they are working correctly, I am trying to restore the remote SQL database to the backup server and than push the database file to a co-worker to test. When I try this I keep getting "An Error occurred on a query to database master". I have checked throughout the VERITAS knowledgebase and everything I have read that applies to this error I have made the appropiate changes but with no success whatsoever.

Can anyone tell me if they were able to redirect a DATABASE restore to another server? I would like to test if my SQL backups are working they way they are supposed to. I have been researching this problem for the last 2 days and I have hit a brick wall, any insight will be appreciated.

DeathStar

You cant re-direct the master databae to another server. Run the restore job and deselect the master database.

Still no success, I made sure that the Master Database was deselected and made sure the SQL restore was pointing to the backup server and I get this error message now

"e000848c - Unable to attach to a resource. Make sure that all selected resources exist and are online, and then try again."

I also made sure the AUTOMATE MASTER RESTORE was deselected as well. Still no luck :eek:(

Can you backup the sql server your trying to restore to?
You have to perform a sql redirection to a active sql instance.

I am able to successfully backup the SQL server, but when I try to restore a database to the Backup server I keep gettings errors. I am quite sure I can sucessfully restore the SQL database back onto the original SQL server. Unfortunately this is not what I want to do since I am running a test restore onto the backup server which I have never done before.

If you have SQL make it's own backup, it is trivial to move it anywhere you want. I never use SQL agents.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back