Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Restoring an Exchange Server Priv.edb 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Timm

IS-IT--Management
Oct 5, 2000
US
We had a MS Exchange 5.5 server go down!!!! It did not come back. All we had in shape of backups is the 1.8GB Priv.edb file. This server only served about 20 people in a smaller town. The only thing we want from this file is the Public Folder store and a few hundred Distribution lists. I have built a new server, installed Exchange and am stuck. If you know the process for integrating the old Priv.edb and new server I could use the help.

Thanks.
[sig][/sig]

Copy the backup priv.edb to the mdbdata directory of the exchange server.
Then in the bin directory of your server run isinteg -patch.

[sig][/sig]

That won't help you at all. The priv.edb holds mailboxes. You need the dir.edb and pub.edb for what you want to do.

Dan [sig][/sig]

I tried the above solution but it didn't work for me. any help? [sig][/sig]

I am sorry but without those 2 files or at least another server in the site your out of luck. If you have another server that was part of the site at the time you might be able to get the information but even then it is a very slim chance since you would have needed Replicas on that server or at least the pub.edb on the crashed server. If you have this I can help. If not then nobody can help you. Sorry.

Dan [sig][/sig]

I forgot to include this in my post so here is what else might help.

When you say the server crashed. How did it "crash" power or hardware and exactly what? Do you still have all the files from when you brought it back up after the crash? They can be resurrected. I just thought of this but it didn't sound like you had any files retained on the server. Please advise if you have the files still on the server. If not like I said in my last post your out of luck.

Dan [sig][/sig]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back