Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Restoring an entire exchange database from .bkf files

Status
Not open for further replies.

frelaxx

IS-IT--Management
Jul 16, 2004
US
After much searching old tapes and cataloging many tapes I beleive I have found the Mailbox I have been looking for with the files I want to restore. I am new to this type of recovery. The server that this mail existed on no longer exists so I have created a server with the old server name, I have added BU Exec 11d, MS Exchange 2003. I cataloged the tapes and found what I want to restore, do I have to restore the entire Exchange database to retreive one mailbox or is there a way I can restore the single mailbox itself?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I believe that the only way you can restore to the mailbox level is if the backup job was ran with the granular restore option selected. I am assuming you probably do not know if this feature was turned on when that job was ran but the way you can tell is by expanding the Information Store in the selection list. If the granular restore option was in play, you will see the specific mailboxes listed below. If they are not there, you will have to restore the entire Information Store.

I can see the individual mailboxes when I expand the backup. I can even expand down to the Inbox and directories below that, however I was told that since I am restoring to a new machine that doesn't have any accounts I need to restore the entire database and then connect to the mailbox I am trying to get information from. Also do I have to dismount the store before restoring?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back