Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Restoring a very large file fails

Status
Not open for further replies.

mspope

IS-IT--Management
Aug 19, 2002
US
Our Exchange DB is 105+ Gb (yep, Gigabytes). I can back it up to tape and checksum verification is OK. I'm trying to restore it to a recovery PC but keep getting the error:

"AE0068 Failed to write data to file: exchsrvr\MDBDATA\PRIV.EDB RC=1450, Insufficient system resources exist to complete the requested service"

This happens after 60-90Gb of the priv.edb have been written to disk.

The 450mhz recovery PC has 384mb of RAM and 190Gb of disk space.

Anybody run into this before?

We don't run exchange but our SQL DB is over 500GB. The last test restore we tried was over 300GB. There was a registry setting for the agent that we had to increase the key was "Max_vdi_wait_time". There may be a similar reg key for exchange.

I should mention that this was a cold backup using only the NT client agent. The NT Client agent is also being used on the recovery PC. The exchange DB has a corrupted page that is causing the Exchange agent to fail on every backup. We are trying to put only the priv.edb on the recovery to examine the DB before repairing the live.

I resolved this problem by using Windows 2000 sp2. I noticed that under NT 4.0 the physical memory dropped like a stone when the restore ran. In Win2k there was very little impact on the physical memory.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back