Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Restoring a Mksysb

Status
Not open for further replies.

redwings

MIS
Aug 6, 2001
US
I just have one small question. I am currently running AIX 5.1 ML4 and I seem to be having difficulty restoring a MKSYSB... Everytime i try to restore the MKSYSB from the 4MM tape is just sits there. I am not sure what i am doing wrong, but I would like to get this straightened out before long. I am pasting the command I use to create my MKSYSB, please tell me if it is something there that is in correct or something I am doing for the restore.

mksysb -m -v -i -X /dev/rmt0

Any ideas?

Thanks in Advance....

When you say "it just sits there", do you mean you have to remove the tape and recycle the machine to get it booted?

If so, read the documentation for the "bootlist" command, then make sure rmt0 is listed first.

If you mean you're trying to restore the contents of a mksysb for examination, rather than restoring a machine using a mksysb, please post the command line you're using.

Rod Knowlton
IBM Certified Advanced Technical Expert pSeries and AIX 5L
CompTIA Linux+
CompTIA Security+

Well i know in AIX 4.3.3 when you booted up the system, you could hit the F5 key to get to a screen to restore the mksysb. I guess i am not sure if this has changed. If i were to hit the F5 key with the CD in there, it rebuilds the system. When i put the 4MM tape in the drive and hit the F5 key, it reads the tape for a while and then just sits there. It never moves. I can walk away from the server for a day and it will still be at the same screen. The ones that states it is starting the software, and gives the time and date. It does not move past that.

What model machine are you trying this on?

Have you made sure all your microcode is current?

What's the code on the LED once the system freezes?

Rod Knowlton
CompTIA Linux+
CompTIA Security+

Well I am trying to restore a MKSYSB from a 7028-6e4 to a 7025-F50. I know the software works on the F50 because i have installed it from CD.

The LED shows 0c43 as the code on the screen when the server freezes.

This process is called cloning, here's what you need to do:

1. make sure the CDROM is before the tape in your bootlist.
2. insert mksysb tape in drive
3. insert Disk #1 of AIX installation media for the same level of AIX as the mksysb in CDROM drive
4. boot from CD
5. select Maintenance Mode for System Recovery
6. select Install from System Backup

This gives the restore access to any drivers needed for the F50 that were not installed on the 6e4.

The c34 code indicates "cannot access boot/install tape".

Here's a nice (though old) list of codes you might want to print out and keep by the machine.

Rod Knowlton
CompTIA Linux+
CompTIA Security+

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back