Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Restoring a file from a session 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

donahuem

MIS
Jul 31, 2001
US
I am attempting to restore a file from a session. How ever when I click on the particular drive where this file in located nothing happens. It says that it was backed up and lists the total number of files but I can not get to any of the folders or data in this particular drive.

It sounds like details were not written to the dtaabase, a common problem. If you can give me some additional info, perhaps I can help.
First of all, what version of ARcserve are you running, 6.61, 7, 2000 ? What is the build number ? What arcserve database are you using, raima, vldb, sql ?
James.Horvath@truedatasan.com
True Data Storage Networks., Inc.
CA Storage Solutions Provider
StorageTek Authorized Dealer

I just started having the same prob recently. I have ARCserve2000 running on NT 4.0 SP6a. I had changed the database settings in order to speed up my backups (under the 'Operation' tab in Options section when setting up a job). Apparently, choosing Record Job & Session Info Only is a No-No! If you want to restore individual files/folders and not entire tapes or sessions you have to choose Record Detail Information.

Yes, you are absolutely correct. Job and session info is great if you a volume(s) that contain a VERY large number of small files that would not normally be restored individually. This way you could keep your database trim and healthy, prolonging the time within which you would have to prune out the records.

James.Horvath@truedatasan.com
True Data Storage Networks., Inc.
CA Storage Solutions Provider
StorageTek Authorized Dealer

You may have one other problem which could be a corrupt database. Try performing another backup and see if you have the same results when trying to restore an individual file. Also, go back to a previous tape that you know was working and see if it can still restore an individual file.

If you have a corrupt database I believe you will see the above attempts will have the same problems. In order to repair your database you can try to perform a database repair. Most likely the best solution would be to reinstall Arcserve though and start with a clean database, then merge your tapes in that you require files from.

Let me know if this helps.

Thanks,

Darryl Brambilla
EDS Canada
Darryl.Brambilla@eds.com

Having a similar problem here. We have selected Record Detailed Information selected but still are being forced to restore an entire drive to get at a single file. This is inconsistant however. Some of our tapes will break down to file, and some (the more recent ones) will not. Any other ideas or will we need to uninstall and reinstall and go through that horrible licensing procedure again?

Sorry, very green here. We are using whatever the default DB is with the product and our server is:

NT 4.0 SP6A
Exchange 5.5 sp4
ARCServeIT AE 6.61 build 834SP2A

Thanks very much for any assistance,

Phil

Don't worry about the license, when created, it won't move (check in C:\CA_LIC, there's a file called CA.OLF which
contains all licensing info for CA products like ARCserve or InoculateIT, and so on)..

So you can reinstall as many times as you want (except if you reformat your server, of course!)

Hope this helps,
LST

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back