Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Restoring a database to a different sort order

Status
Not open for further replies.

Moss2001

IS-IT--Management
Aug 23, 2001
GB
Hi!

We have a large SQL database using Binary Sort order - however we have found out that the application we are using prefers a Dictionary Sort order.

So, does anyone know if it is possible to move (or even backup/restore) the existing database across to another server which has a Dictionary Sort Order?

Cheers!
Chris Vickers
moss2001@hotmail.com

Unfortuantly you can not move or restore a database onto another SQL Server with a diffrent sort order.

You will have to use DTS or BCP to import the data.

Rick.

Just I feared!!!

But does DTS handle this ok - or is it a bit dodgy?
Chris Vickers
moss2001@hotmail.com

I've never had to do it myself on a full database but have never had any problems moving signal tables around. As it's one of the main features of DTS you would like to think everything should run smoothly.

Although like you I would be a little wary and would at least ensure all my table record counts matched at the end of the exercise.

Rick.

Thanks for that! The database is quite big - but will try a small table and see what happens!
Chris Vickers
moss2001@hotmail.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back