Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Restore

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dresdner

IS-IT--Management
Dec 24, 2004
GB
Hi,

I'm trying to restore a Backup from a tape ( done into our live server ) into another test server.
Arcserve is the program i'm using to restore the exchange server, but i reaceive an error " Invalid target server for restoring ".

I don't understand Why.

The organization was named excatly like the live enviroment but the server name and the domain are different.
is this the problem???

Thanks for your help

I'm pretty sure when you restore an exchange 5.5 server, from backup tape... the patition sizes, the server name and Exchange organisation should be exactly the same when trying to recover

Org name and Site name have to be exactly the same (we're talking directory names, not display names) - even the case is important. Also, the version of Exchange (including SPs) has to be identical. Other than that, the server name can be different, so long as you don't restore the Directory.

here is a simple guide I use when recovering + a bunch of technet websites

* Note the partition sizes of the runnign machine

* Install O/S with same service pack revision as original machine

* Create identical partitions to original machine

* run performance optimizer on original machine and note on which partition the IS, DS, Exch logs are located on

* Install exchange and make sure that the Organisation, site and server name are identical to original machine

* run exchange optimizer on the new server and move the IS, DS and exchange logs to the same partitions as the original server

* Restore information store and DS to same partition as original(Make sure the drive lettering is the same as original)

* once restore is complete run consistency checker, tick all boxes and click O.K. You'll find the consistency checker under properties of server click advanced.

You should then have access to all mailboxes of the information store
you've restored.

Good Luck

Regards

B

Many Thanks For your Help!

I will Try... next Year! :p

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back