Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Restore

Status
Not open for further replies.

tekshop

IS-IT--Management
Dec 11, 2001
US
I need to get an old SCO Open Server 3.2.4 system back up because of a clients legal matter. I have restored the system. I used cpio -ivudm -I /devrStp0 /usr/* to restore the application. I use the same thing to restore the data, the tape reads through but doesn't write aynthing to the hard drive. I can use the -ivt comand and view it but not restoe.
Anyy Suggestions this Judge is getting kinda mad.
Thanks
Dennis

How would I backup the /dev/root system using the cpio command?
Thanks Dennis

cd /dev/root

find . -print | cpio -ovBc > [tape device]

How did your restore go?

KenCunningham,
cd /dev/root
??
How can you change current directory to a block device ?
tekshop,
It's very dangerous to save a root filesystem on a machine and restore on an another.
Is your OS working on your new machine ?
If yes try to backup/restore only the apps stuff.
As previously posted, create a temp dir, cd to it, restore with -A and then play with cp -p for new files, or with diff and vi for edited common files.

Hope This Help, PH.
Want to get great answers to your Tek-Tips questions? Have a look at FAQ219-2884

PHV. Quite right. I think a cerebral cortex snapped after about the nth time trying to get the essential message through!

Thanks a lot everyone for your help. I finally got the system up. The problem was that the backup tape with the application was from an old 486 witha dead SCSI hard drive and a bad ISA controller. I had top change to a PCI controller the restore would clober my hardware files. After I got it up I backed up the data and the root jus in case.
Again Thanks so much for your help !!!
Dennis

Now I have been asigned another project. Just so you know these are retired systems for a couple of Auto Body shops her in town. A lawsuit has evolved about thing that were not done on some repairs. Insurance Company points finger at body shop vice versa. I have been asked to get the systems back up for verification.

The new assignment I get the fowwlowing errors.
no space on EAFS /dev hd. It also will not munt /dev u says it can not determine the filessystem type.
Any suggestions
Thanks again
Dennis

Remember this?

Thread58-391379

Sorry, I don't know anything about EAFS filesystems, but it looks like you need to make more space available. If you Google on 'no space on EAFS', there's some info. there, particularly from Tony Lawrence' site. HTH.

Thanks Ken I convinced them taht it was hopeless any way. They have howerver requested that I hook up a secon printer and terminal. The system has a Digi board that was originally installed but I have no driver disk. I tried to set up a printer on the parrallel port but it say lpadmin was not found. Any suggetions on that.
Thanks
Dennis

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back