Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Restore

Status
Not open for further replies.

tekshop

IS-IT--Management
Dec 11, 2001
US
I need to get an old SCO Open Server 3.2.4 system back up because of a clients legal matter. I have restored the system. I used cpio -ivudm -I /devrStp0 /usr/* to restore the application. I use the same thing to restore the data, the tape reads through but doesn't write aynthing to the hard drive. I can use the -ivt comand and view it but not restoe.
Anyy Suggestions this Judge is getting kinda mad.
Thanks
Dennis

when you look at the files with cpio -itv what is the beginning of the name look like?

depending on how it was backed up the file names may start with a ./ instead of /

The fils are in a couple of directories. the will scrool across the screen but wil no0t restore. If I got to sysadmsh and try to restore it tells me that the tape is not cpio format how ever that it the process it was used to bak up.
Dennis

They Start with a
Thanks
Dennis

I must be missing something. I srry if I'm being a best but I do't do much UNIX.
Thanks
Dennis

What Stan is getting at is whether the files are being restored to an absolute location (ie beginning with /) or a relative one (beginning with ./) If the latter, the files will be restored below the location where the restore is started, including and creating any directory tree as it does so - below your current working directory. Can you post a snippet of the -ivt results you're getting?

If this doesn't work, you could try using dd to read the tape.

This is what I amd using to restore
cpio -ivdm -I /dev/rStp0 usr/arms/*
I replace the cpio -ivt -I /dev/rStp0 to view the tape
I see the following :
/bin/file name ect...
The tape has a copy of the root directory and if I restore it with out using the /usr/arms it write over my SCO files which had a different SCSI controller and I can not get the machine to reboot.

Thanks
Dennis

I think (but am open to being disabused) that regardless, your files will be written to their absolute equivalents. You need to consider using the -A switch to cpio to strip off the leading /, thus restoring them relative to where you are, ie your current working directory. Hope this solves your problem.

I still a little (actually a lot) confused. I don't have any manuals. Just some faded note to restore the system. It doesn't mention a as an option. What command should I tpye in to include -A. Also you mentioned the "dd" command I have no idea how to use it.
Thanks for You help
Dennis

Don't worry about dd at the moment. The A (note the capital) should be included as part of your -ivudm option list as per your first post above, ie -iAvudm

What SCO flavour/version are we taliking? It could be that the -A option was only included later. man cpio for details.

HTH.

This is Open Server 3.2.4
Thanks
Dennis

Is there any way to restore from a tape using the cpio command that does not overwrite files it seems that something on the tape overwrites my system files and when I reboot it tells me I have no disk controller. This tape was from a system with an old ISA disk controller. I had to change to a pci get it bak up.
Thanks
Dennis

You were asked if you used the -A. What that allows is for you to make a temp directory, move to it, then restore with the -A and it will pull stuff off relative to where you started from and not the root where it wants to if you don't use the -A.

Ed Fair
Give the wrong symptoms, get the wrong solutions.

I'm sorry but I evidently don't understand or am not making my sef clear. In order for the program to work Ihave to restore the entire tape some of the files evidently go in the root directory. Ther must be a file theat tell it what kind of hard dis controller I have. When I restoer the tape even using the -A option it writes over this file. The program works but when I reboot it say I have no disk controller and will not come back up.
Thanks
Dennis

Where are you (pwd) when you issue the cpio command? If you're in the root (/) directory, this will have the same effect as if you were running the command without the -A option. You need to be elsewhere (create a temp directory and cd into it before running the cpio).

Okay Thanks but how do I get the files from the temp directory to the places that need to be for the program to work?
Thanks for you help
Dennis

Hopefully it's just a simple matter of:

cp -p /temp/<file> <place you need the file>

This will copy the file(s) restored from tape (including permissions) to where you want/need them. HTH.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back