Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Restore win2k3 to diff partition size

Status
Not open for further replies.

themtx

Technical User
Jan 13, 2005
US
Folks - I have a 9.1 media server and a need to repartition a production box. I've read Veritas' "Disaster Recovery of a Windows 2003 computer" tech tip thing which is a scenario like what I need to accomplish -
However, I didn't specifically see any gotchas regarding restoring a system partition to a diff sized slice of disk.

Basically, someone set up the box in question to mirror a larger sized disk onto a smaller sized disk (at the hw level - Dell Perc 3Di), thus wasting the extra space on the larger disk(s). I could convert the volume in question to dynamic and create a new logical partition out on the newly found space, but I'd rather not burden the OS with that extra overhead since I have a HW RAID controller and the option to "make things right" now.

Any ideas if a restore onto a physically smaller system partition will hose things up? The pagefile is set to dynamic, so that shouldn't be an issue, and if it is, I can always boot safe mode and resize / move it as necesasry. The box is not a DC, only a member server, so I anticipate the barebones win2k3 install + backupexec agent w/same name and ip scenario should work.

TIA,

Steve

Steve,

I guesss I don't understand what you intend to do. Are you going to ad a seoond smaller drive and mirror the two or are you going to install a second large drive and mirror them OR are you going to do away with the mirror entirely?

Jim

Steve

It should be OK - just as long as there is enough room for the restore to happen.

Should be fine - remember that BE restores are performed at the file level (as opposed to block level). Worst case scenario --> you run out of room --> the job fails --> & your OS complains that you are low on disk space.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back