Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Restore Win2000 Member server

Status
Not open for further replies.

ddon

IS-IT--Management
Oct 28, 2000
US
Hi,
I need to restore a Win2000 Member server SP3 that is also the host backup server. I saw on CA's website that you can re-install windows using the same directory name and then make a registry change to allow open system files to be restored. I will then reboot and my server and I should be completly restored, however this article refrence Winnt4.0 NOT win2000. Is there a way I can perform a restore using the same procedures explain in the following article for Win2000. I'm a bit surprise that CA don't have any documents on resotring a Win2000 server using Arcserve. I only saw restoring Active Directory, hownever a member server restore would be totally diffrent..

I'm running Arserve2000 SP4
Please help.

HI,

1.Install Windows 2000 .. Apply appropriate Service pack
2.Install ARCserve2000 + SP4
3.Reboot the machine...
4.Run a restore selecting all the drives and the system state.

Nothing else is required.

Cheers
Speshalyst

So it Shall be Written!
So it Shall be Done!!

Hi, speshalyst
Thank you for the speedy response, however I have a question..
when installing Win2000 I perfer using the same directory name as it was backup as . Can I used the same name and if so , how would open ssytem files be handled when a restore is being perform in the same windows directory ?
I would perfer not doing a parallel install ..

Thanks
-Darren

Hi
I belive there is no doc on CA exaplining how to do thise is because CA want people to buy the Disaster Recovery option which is will take care of all of those things.

if you used the defult path while installing win2k this won't be a problem.
I think there is no harm from trying this just give it a try.

regards,
mohamdr

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back