Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Restore taking a long time

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChrisPhillip

Programmer
Jan 8, 2015
GB
Hi Guys

Any Idea why a 50Gig database is taking over 14 hours to restore and still going?
We have backed up and restored this many times and no problems but don't know why this is happening.

Any information appreciated.

>Any information appreciated.
dito

Any messages? How did you restore, via SSMS or code or some third party tool? HDD space? Any progress seen? Validity of BAK file(s) checked?

Bye, Olaf.

Hi Olaf

Sorry for the confusion, its not the back up and restore, what I am doing and have done several times before is taken the Live database and back up to a test database. see attached script.
This has worked several times in the past.

http://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=c884ab8c-97a3-4012-b3ed-81d9d2bf0894&file=Update_Test_DB_after_Restore_-_CAV.sql
hum.. script has everything but backup - it seems its all about replication and that can obviously take a long long time if target db's are way out of sync

Regards

Frederico Fonseca
SysSoft Integrated Ltd

FAQ219-2884
FAQ181-2886

I don't see how your script would do replication, but the comment about the paragraph of the dbo.ChangeSiteSp calls is mentioning this is taking a very long time and not necessarily what you want. That is not a system stored proc and its unclear what it does, but "as advertised" it takes long. Comment it, if you are unsure. TEST data surely doesn't need any specific or changed Site ID - does it? I really ask, not just rethorical, you have to know what a site id is in case of your data, but I'd say for testing any live data as is will be welcome unchanged in whatever aspect. It sounds like a location or mandant id, but for testing purposes any would do, wouldn't it?

And this script is called AFTER the restore, so the restore is already done, isn't it?

Bye, Olaf.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back