Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Restore SQL DB to different name/area 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hueby

MIS
Oct 20, 2004
US
Hey all, I have a backup that includes a SQL database that I would like to get some data from. I do NOT want to fully restore it though over the newer DB. I would just like to restore it to a temporary area and get into the tables, then I'll remove it. How can I do this easily, and what are my options?

1. restore the db from tape to some temp area.
2. rename the db.
If using MSSQL (you don't say, and there are many SQL engines):
3. copy the renamed db to the ..\MSSQL\DATA directory.
4. in Enterprise Manager, attach the renamed db
5. query the tables
6. in EM, detach the renamed db.

How do I restore the database to 'some temp area'?
I use MS SQL 2000 and have the same problem as the original poster has. I can't see how to restore the database files without overwriting the existing db or creating a new db in SQL.

Thanks

When creating the restore job, there is the option to redirect the restore to a different location. I might be able to say specifically where the option is if you'll tell me what version/platform of BE you use.

I don't use the SQL agent so I can't help you with that, sorry. I bet someone else in this forum can, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back