Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Restore Servers

Status
Not open for further replies.

xoopa

ISP
Sep 17, 2006
US
Hi folks,
I am running 5 Dell Poweredge 2650 servers w/builtin Remote Access Controller (era). Ive already setup the era.
Id like to know if its possible to do an OS reinstall remotely. I would also like being able to choose which OS to remotely install. I plan on offering dedicated hosting to my clients and would need to be able to install whatever OS the client requests remotely since my COLO is 2 hrs away. If anyone has any suggestions, id really appreciate it. I see that some big dedicated host providers offer OS restores with a push of a button. I would like to set that up as well.

Thanks in advanced,
Calvin C

Hi,
Thanx, but the KVM over IP that I have found that is capable of doing this is the ones that has Virtual Media. And they cost over $7,000. I am willing to spend up $1,500.
But I dont see any others.
Thanks,
Calvin

Update, I just ordered the Dell 2161ds KVM over IP.
It was a steal on ebay for $699 new. I also picked up the 16 SIPs for $590. Total cost $1,289 plus shipping.
It doesnt seem to have virtual media, but i might try the pxe boot option during boot.
Anyone know how to pxe boot?
Calvin

Yep. You must have a pxe server somewhere, with a prepped image ready to download. Set the blank machine to boot to pxe in BIOS, and stand back.

PXE does present a security risk. Anybody can create a pxe server (I have one running on a laptop), and theoretically could load whatever image they wanted by getting the target machine to reboot. Intel (who created pxe) thought of this and included in the specs a process called Boot Integrity Services wherein a public/private key sceme is used to authenticate the image host.

However, I have yet to find a pxe server package that employs BIS. So I disable pxe in BIOS after the image is loaded.

hth

Hi Lawnboy,
Thanx for the help.
What OS does the pxe server need to be? Can it be a win2k3 box? Here is my goal. I have a few servers at my colo which is 2 hrs away. I need to be able to basically reformat and reinstall any OS remotely (CentOS 4.1, 4.2, 4.3, 4.4 and Win2k, Win2k3...etc)
Normally, I stick in the CentOS disk or win2k3 disk. But Im trying to figure out how to do this remotely.
I would like to store the images of either OS on the pxe server (btw, what software do I need to use to create the images for these OS)?

Anyway, since I will be using KVM over IP, i can access the bios and stuff remotely. (btw, should i be accessing the kvm over ip thru local connections or public)?
I guess if locally, i would need to remote into a public server and then open the internet connection to a local server on that network).

Anyway,
This is a new concept to me so i apologize if i am soundiding lame since i dont quite understand how to pxe...etc

btw, yeah, i would also disable pxe AFTE the installation is done.

If you have a better suggestion on installing any OS, please let me know.

Thanks in advanced,
Calvin

Wait, quick question. Is this an image copy or will i be going thru an OS installation process.
Thanks,
Calvin

I believe you can get a pxe server on about any OS. I use the pxe server included with Novell Zenworks, and I have it running on Netware 6.5.

It is an Image copy. The pxe environment is fairly small, no room for most GUIs.

I've not used a KVM over IP, and am not familiar with the security scheme, sorry.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back