Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Restore REPLACE option

Status
Not open for further replies.

leahyj

MIS
May 5, 2004
US
Hi,

If I am restoring a user database(that already exists) to a backup server using the latest full backup and transaction logs from the production server, do I use the REPLACE option or not.

Thanks

Yes.

Denny
MCSA (2003) / MCDBA (SQL 2000)
MCTS (SQL 2005 / Microsoft Windows SharePoint Services 3.0: Configuration / Microsoft Office SharePoint Server 2007: Configuration)
MCITP Database Administrator (SQL 2005) / Database Developer (SQL 2005)

--Anything is possible. All it takes is a little research. (Me)
[noevil]

Thank you,

Why?

What happens if you don't?

Thanks again.

The REPLACE command tells SQL Server that it is save to overwrite the existing files on the disk.

Without the REPLACE option the RESTORE DATABASE command should fail before starting the restore. (It does in SQL 2005, I haven't done a restore in SQL 2000 in over a year, so I can't remember how it responds.)

Denny
MCSA (2003) / MCDBA (SQL 2000)
MCTS (SQL 2005 / Microsoft Windows SharePoint Services 3.0: Configuration / Microsoft Office SharePoint Server 2007: Configuration)
MCITP Database Administrator (SQL 2005) / Database Developer (SQL 2005)

--Anything is possible. All it takes is a little research. (Me)
[noevil]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back