Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

restore of SQL DB failes :-( in B9 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Padzik

Technical User
Nov 26, 2003
CZ
PLEASE HELP - Brightstor9, SQL2000 server
Hi, I found out, that I cannot restore only SQL DB, that is more than eg. 50 MB or bigger. When I want to restore any of "small" SQL DB from ANY media, it is not problem but when the DB is "big" (more than eg. 50 MB), I got these errors: (This is not a media error, all backups are finished; we tried to change the tapes)

E6300 WinNT SCSI port error - we tried the advices in FAQ here, but it didn't help us. We even replaced the SCSI controller for another type!

E3713 Unable to read from media. EC=controller failure or HW error

E8617 Failed to end restore. (DBname=mis EC=server:[SQL Server] szSqlState = 37000,fNativeError =3270, errMsg=[Microsoft] [ODBC SQL Server Driver] [SQL Server] An internal consistency eror occured. Contact T. Support for assistance.

But when I look into the dbasql.log on the server I want to restore the db, there are these lines, from I think, the data are written OK, but is here any problem with SQL agent???? I deleted the time symbols from log to make it easier to read...

Database MIS in Restore Mode
get_dumpload_unit(): Got BackupId = 0 for
NEW TAPE FORMAT. sqlTapeSignature = 1, nStripes = 1, nVdiStripes_Restore = 1
DSABeginRestore(): OK
restore database [MIS] from virtual_device = 'DBASQL_DB_MIS_PID2936TID5808BID0TS446694312VD0' WITH RECOVERY , BLOCKSIZE=65536,BUFFERCOUNT=1,MAXTRANSFERSIZE=2097152
sqlsrv70_vdi(): opendevice OK, iounit_id=0 for DBASQL_DB_MIS_PID2936TID5808BID0TS446694312VD0
performTransferRestore(): Calling GetCommand first time for restoreid = 0, stripe = 0
performTransferRestore():: Successfully completed data transfer for DB = [MIS], STRIPE = 0
Database MIS removed from Restore Mode
sql_load_db(): SQLExecDirect failed for DB = [MIS]. Error = -1
[SQL Server] szSqlState = 37000,fNativeError = 3270, errMsg = [Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver][SQL Server]An internal consistency error occurred. Contact Technical Support for assistance.
sql_load_db(): SQLExecDirect failed for DB = [MIS]. Error = [SQL Server] szSqlState = 37000,fNativeError = 3270, errMsg = [Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver][SQL Server]An internal consistency error occurred. Contact Technical Support for assistance.
[Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver][SQL Server]An internal consistency error occurred. Contact Technical Support for assistance.
sql_load_db(): sqlexec is DONE for DB = [MIS]
sql95_db_end_restore(): Close the device set 0
release_dumpload_unit(): Released BackupId = 0 for [MIS]
SQL Server error. Please check the log file DBASQL.LOG
Last error in queue = [SQL Server] szSqlState = 37000,fNativeError = 3270, errMsg = [Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver][SQL Server]An internal consistency error occurred. Contact Technical Support for assistance.
Disconnect SQL Server Backup Agent

1-Is this problem happening only while restoring SQL DB?
2-Does the error E6300 WinNT SCSI port error happening only while restoring?

1. YES (and only for big DB, for e.g. 20 MB db is OK)
2. YES, only when restoring

we are getting the same error ,Have you find a solution for this problem.

NO :-( I was solving this with CA using mail communication and they insist that this is HW related problem.

Are you able to restore "normal" files that are greater than 50 mb?

Yes, e.g. 8GB file is OK. 1GB SQL through agent = impossible.

I am not sure of your hardware setup but check out:

This statement in the log leads me to believe that the data may have been restored:

performTransferRestore():: Successfully completed data transfer for DB = [MIS], STRIPE = 0
Database MIS removed from Restore Mode

Then this statement appears as if an error is occuring in trying to load the database:

sql_load_db(): SQLExecDirect failed for DB = [MIS]. Error = -1

Would need to look into further though

To solve this problem do the following:

1-On the machine where you BrightStor ARCserve Backup Server resides open regedit and find the key 'HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \ SOFTWARE \ComputerAssociates \ BrightStor ARCserve Backup \ Base \ Task \Common\ DBAgentsSettings

2-Create a new DWORD value named 'SQLProtocol' and set it to 0 (hex or dec).

3-Submit a remote restore job. i.e. restore the data to a SQL agent that resides in a different machine.

4-Once the restore is complete, delete the SQLProtocol value and close regedit.

regards,
mohamdr

to fritz4000: I think the same!

to mohamdr: What does the DWORD value SQLProtocol do?

creating SQLProtocol and put the value to 0 will restore using named pipes.

my friend had this problem after changing it we was able able to restore his SQL seccessfully.

mohamdr,

If this is a protocol issue (named pipes vs TCP/IP I presume), why would the restore have to go to another SQL server? The registry change should fix the restore on the server that is currently trying to be restored to.

The changes has to be done on Backup server since it is job to do the restore to sql server.

I didn't mean to ask where the registry setting is. I meant to state that:

3-Submit a remote restore job. i.e. restore the data to a SQL agent that resides in a different machine.

should not be necessary. Going back to the same
sql server should be fine

Hi,
"SQLProtocol" in registry HELPED!!!!!!!!!!

(The truth is, that for the first time I got error E8617 Failed to end restore. (DBNAME=TEST, EC=SERVER:[SQL Server] szSqlState = 37000,fNativeError = 5105, errMsg = [Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver][SQL Server]Device activation error. The physical file name 'C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL\data\TEST_Data.MDF' may be incorrect.)

but the DB seemed to be OK and was runnig.

I DISCOVERED ONE MORE THING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
When I back up DB through SQL agent using NAMED PIPES, restoring is NO PROBLEM (without SQLProtocol in registry)!!!!!!!!!! (I have tried 3 DBses that were more then 2 GB big) with success!! BUT I TRIED THIS (backing up with NAMED PIPES) IN BAB 9 and it does NOT worked. Now using BAB11 named pipes works without problem (I hope :)

Hello.... Still you have the problem?

We had a problem similar with greater bases to 100GB.

Apparently the problem is product, of the disconnection of agent SQL during the process of restore.

We modified the following values. I hope helps you.

In Server BAB Manager.
Regestry Value TCPTIMEOUT = 25200 Decimal (25200 segundos).
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\ComputerAssociates\BrightStorArcserveBackup\ Base\ Task\Common\DBAgentsSettings.

In SQL Server.
DBAgent Configuration:
VDI wait time=1200000
Max VDI wait time for creating files in restore: 90000000

I hope helps you.

Thanks for advice but we solved this problem with "SQLProtocol" registry "patch".

Padzik,

I had the same problem. I followed SQLProtocol recommendation and it seems to work. However, I have one question, should I have to do this every time I want to execute a restore of a big database or is it only a one time thing?

Thanks.

Adriana

You must do this every time you want to restore.. In our environment I solved this by using named pipes protocol to backup SQL DB.

I was also getting this error fNativeError = 5105 and The Physical file name 'C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL\data\database.MDF' may be incorrect.

I finally managed to fix this, unknown to me the backed up SQL data base lived on D: drive and the machine I was trying to restore the data to was on C: drive. This must be hard coded into the backup since there is no way to change this.

I only found this out when I tried to restore using .bak files directly and got the same error, on examination of the dialog box I could see they had the d: drive already selected as the restore path. Changing this to c: in the dialog box fixed the problem.

Don't know how you fix this for Brighstor / Arcserve SQL Agent???? I built another box and partitioned it so I had C: and D: drives and made sure I installed SQL so the data resided on the d: drive. Tried the restore from Brightstor and everything went well.

Hope this helps someone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back