Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Restore mutliple filesystems on one tape using ufsrestore

Status
Not open for further replies.

cgswong

MIS
Nov 27, 2000
US
Hi all,

I'm testing right now using ufsdump to backup my system, but would like to know how to restore (full or partial) using ufsrestore if I'm backing up multiple filesystems to a single tape drive. For example, I might use the following to backup:

ufsdump 0ubf 512 /dev/rmt/0cn /
ufsdump 0ubf 512 /dev/rmt/0cn /export/home
ufsdump 0ubf 512 /dev/rmt/0cn /usr

The entire process might take 2 tapes with each tape having multiple filesystems backed up. When I do a test restore I can only see the first backed up filesystem (/). How do I restore all the filesystems on the tape, or just a select files or filesystems?

Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

- Stuart

It should be possible to recover selectively with the combined use of dump with mt commands to position the backups in the tape or try using the interactive restore option..Hope this helps!!!

Hi,

You could try using the foll:

ufsrestore xfs /dev/rmt/0hn 5, this will skip to the 5th file on the dump. Check the man pages for more info.

I have also used the foll:

ufsrestore tvf /dev/rmt/0n to move the tape forward.
Hope this helps

The mt -f /dev/rmt/1n fsf 1 command will get you to the specific file. It is a straight forward command. If need (and you have enough tapes) you can put each file on a seperate tape.

Thanks guys! The 'mt' command was the key. Just one other thing though, is it possible to have a block size larger than 512? I read the man page and all, but I still would like to use a block size of 4MB if possible.

Thanks again and regards.

- Stuart

Not directly related but the next step after this one is that you are asked for a volume number, I am at wits end trying to establish what this might be, I can move around the tape, create the directory structure for the files I want to restore but can't find the right volume to restore from can anyone tell what I am so obviously doing wrong?

Tks

volume number is asked becasue ufsdump does not "know" ho many tapes were used.
entering 1 will usually be enough unless you have multiple tapes per single dump .
barazani barazani
bara_zani@yahoo.com
"Unix is user friendly. It's just selective about who its friends are."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back