Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

restore master 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

leahyj

MIS
May 5, 2004
US
Hi,

I have a second sql server, that already has its own system databases, and a few user databases.

If I want to restore some user databases from another server, do I need to restore the system databases also(before or after), OR will that make the existing user databases unusable?

Thanks

You do not need to restore the system databases.

Some things to consider the following:
1. Jobs. You can script out any jobs on the original server and run the scripts on the new server
2. Logins. Microsoft has a script called sp_help_revlogins that will make a script of logins on one server to be run on another server.
3. DTS/SSIS packages. These will need to be copied over.

-SQLBill

The following is part of my signature block and is only intended to be informational.
Posting advice: FAQ481-4875

Here is an FAQ that has sp_help_rev_logins so you can move the logins.

faq962-6608

- Paul
- If at first you don't succeed, find out if the loser gets anything.

SQLBill,

thanks!

Can you be more specific on the copy of the DTS/SSIS packages?

Thanks again.

DTS - you can open the package and select SAVE AS then save it as a structured file. Then move the file from one server to the other.

SSIS - right click on the package name, then export the package.

-SQLBill

The following is part of my signature block and is only intended to be informational.
Posting advice: FAQ481-4875

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back