Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Restore from hot backup with no archive logs

Status
Not open for further replies.

kasparov

Programmer
Feb 13, 2002
GB
This is probably a very basic question so apologies for asking.

I'm cloning my live database. I have files from a hot backup (we don't use RMAN). I create a text copy of the control file, edit it accordingly & run it. I then get the reply "Control file created" which looks good.

I can then bring the database up using "recover database using backup controlfile until cancel" & applying one archive log file but I'd like to bring it up without applying any of the archive log files. I assume that would be possible as I have the redo log files.

I'm expecting this to be just a question of using the right command but all my attempts have failed - or am I missing something?

Thanks for any replies - Chris

Unfortunately you can't recover from an online backup without forward recovering far enough to get at least to the scn of the datafile that was backed up last. So your experience of needing to apply at least one archive log is fairly accurate.

Note: If you have all of the online datafile backups but are completely missing all log files, there is a last-ditch attempt to recover. You can set the initialization parameter "_ALLOW_RESETLOGS_CORRUPTION=TRUE" and then try to open your database. There's no guarantee it will work. Even if it does, you need to immediately export your data and import it into an uncorrupted database. Still, it's a better alternative than losing all your data.

OK

Thanks karluk - what you say makes sense. It's just for testing so I'll live with applying just 1 log file. (once I work out how to script it)

Cheers, Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back