Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Restore files deleted to the recycle bin using DOS. 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

RIBEYZE

Technical User
Jul 24, 2003
US
Well, I've stepped in it this time. I deleted C:\windows\system\vmm32.vxd to the recycle bin and now the system will not boot to Windows. I do, however, get a DOS prompt. How do I recover this file back to system?

[blue]_ _--[/blue] [red]RIBEYZE[/red] [blue]--_ _[/blue]

Additional info...

Pentium II 400
Windows98 SE

Question, were you getting vmm32.vxd errors to begin with? These are usually a pain in the butt to fix and its usually quicker to run the windows setup to reinstall the OS. Of course, I prefer to format and reload, but that will delete everything... Anyways...

Okay, do you have your Windows 98 disk? Or, do you know where your Windows 98 cab files are? Perhaps in c:\windows\options\cabs? If so, let me know, we can extract the file.

Matt J.

Please always take the time to backup any and all data before performing any actions suggested for ANY problem, regardless of how minor a change it might seem. Also test the backup to make sure it is intact.

No, no errors. I was actually trying to fix a problem with my mouse.

I tried to transfer the file via floppy from another system. It copied fine, but I kept getting disk errors when going from floppy to the affected machine. I'm currently running Windows setup. (so much for patience!) Thanks for the reply, I'll let you know how it goes.

Good luck, let me know if that fixes it. Here is what I was referencing by pain in the butt.

I've often worked with errors surrounding these files for a couple of hours, and still had a crap OS. If it doesn't work and you can't format because there is data, let me know.

Matt J.

Please always take the time to backup any and all data before performing any actions suggested for ANY problem, regardless of how minor a change it might seem. Also test the backup to make sure it is intact.

I'm back up and running. I ran setup for 98 and then setup again for SE. Everything is just the way I left it. Thanks for the link Matt, it was very informative on the problems I caused by messing with vmm32.vxd.

RIBEYZE

For future reference;

Simply copy VMM32.VXXD back to %WINDIR%\SYSTEM. Assuming your windows directory is WINDOWS and is located on C:, the DOS command would be;

COPY C:\RECYCLED\VMM32.VXD C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM

Steve

A late thanks to Cobolkid! Next time I sabotage my own system I'll give it a try.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back