Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Restore Exchange with Same name

Status
Not open for further replies.

padkinson

Technical User
Apr 2, 2002
US
We are moving our exchange server to a new server and we need to keep the same computer name. I have looked over Microsoft's article KB822945. I am now trying to test this move and I get to the step of mounting the information store. I get this error:

"An internal processing error has occurred. Try restarting the Exchange System Manager or the Microsoft Exchange Information Store service, or both.

IDno: c1041724
Exchange System Manager"

From there I tried most of these:

and still get same error.

Thanks for the help

Did you use the Disaster Recovery switch when you installed exchange?

Changing your server is simple.

Backup the info stores,
Install exchange on the new server using the disaster recovery switch.
Install exchange service pack using the disaster recovery switch.
Replace the databases.
reboot Server.

Full article:

Cheers

Chris

Chris Styles

NT4/2000 MCSE

I did use the disaster recovery switch, but I did not install exchange sp1. I will try that today.

Thanks for the reply.

OK, you need to reinstall to your previous version, otherwise the db's have a different version and possibly a different structure to what the application is expecting. I would have expected an error saying datase version conflict, but this is MS we are talking about. ;-)

Install the service pack using the disaster recovery switch as well.

Follow that article and you should have no problems, i've used it dozens of times.

Cheers

Chris

Chris Styles

NT4/2000 MCSE

I haven't tried it again, yet, but I did follow the article. The only way I could get it to work is with an offline backup, which is not in this article.

Erm, you would have to do an offline restore.

The disaster recovery switch makes sure that the databases are not mounted. Hence do not reboot between exchange install and service pack.

Once the offline restore, or just dump the db's in place if you copied them off somwhere, is done you can mount the store.

What did you use to make the backup, using a vertias backup exec info store restore works fine, but I believe that MSBackup aint too hot at this.

Chris Styles

NT4/2000 MCSE

chrisstyles,

I think this is my problem:
I had some Windows 2003 hot fixes on my original exchange server and I didn't have any hot fixes on my new server. I am going to run another test this afternoon just to make sure.

For now I am using NTBackup. Thanks for the help!

chris,

I was able to get my test environment to work, so over the weekend I did my live server. Now, OWA will not work. I can't get the forms base authentication to work. So, I tried without forms and i was able to log in but none of the pictures opened. Do you have any ideas?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back