Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Restore Exch 2k public folders to Exch 2003 ??? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

pctekkk

MIS
Dec 9, 2004
US
1. is it possible to restore exchange 2000 public folders to an exchange 2003 server ?
2. what is the steps since we currently do not have any showing.
3. is there reprocussions ??

issue was, our 'consultant' migrated our mailboxes from exch 2k to exch 2003 but public folders are/went missing, totally !
he thought they replicated but no where to be found on server or in outlook clients.

now i have to try and restore from tape from exch 2k to exch. 2003 w/out problems

thanks to anyone for help, of course stars * to all

Do you by any chance still have the 2000 Exchange server running?
If so, I would open the exchange administrators mailbox on the server using Outlook, and then export the Public Folders to a standard pst [personal folder]. Ensure you select "Include subfolders" when doing the export.
Once you have the pst, you can go back to your 2003 Exchange server and then import it back using Outlook.
I have done this before with perfect results.
I know there are utilites such as PFMigrate that will do the same thing. I just found the Outlook route quick and easy.
btw, if you need to export\import mailboxes in bulk, EXMerge is the way to go imho.

The only issues to be aware of are:
1>Use the latest version of Outlook [2003/XP]. Don't use 97 for example.
2>You will lose your 2000 public folder permissions on 2003. So once the import is done, reapply the permissions to all the folders.

I have never restored PF's using Netbackup, so unfortunately can't give you much advice there.
If your 2000 Exchange server has been de-commisioned, then obviously you will need to restore from tape. Maybe it's an easy job to restore your 2000 PF's into 2003, but if it were me, I would quickly setup a default install of Exchange 2000 on a spare box, restore the PF's on there, and then do the Outlook trick. 3-4 hours work, including coffee breaks, and you are up and running again. Not to mention the hero status!
I know mine is not an elegant solution, but it works.

Let me know how you progress.
Cheers mate.

alpha,

thanks for the info

only thing is, the domain admin mailbox and my mailbox
which has access to all, have been moved to 2003.

also, there is no PF showing in the exch 2000 server also.
Yes it is though still up and running, hasnt been decommisioned at all yet, but not sure how/why the PFs
are not showing up.

No problem!
As long as the Exchange 2000 server is still operational and the Information Store and related Exchange services are up and running, you are halfway there.

What we need to do is this.

1> Recreate the Exchange admin account. Call it anything. Create a mailbox for this account. Make sure this account has the following rights:
a) Domain Admin: Add via Active Directory
b) Exchange Admin: Open Exchange System Manager > Right-Click on your Exchange Organisation > Click on Delegate Control > Add the account as "Exchange Full Administrator"

2> Get Outlook 2003/XP up and running for the account.

3> Restore the PF from tape.

4> Once restored, export the PF via Outlook.

5> Import the PF into Exchange 2003.

If you can start the process, we can guide you through it as you go along. As long as you have the old 2000 Exchange server and backup tapes available, we can get you home.

Cheers mate.

just got off phone w/ veritas support
successful restore to new exch 2003 server, i forgot to leave log files checked

all ok !!

thanks bud

Great!

So you restored an Exchange 2000 PF back into Exchange 2003?
If thats the case, then I've learned something aswell. I know that it shouldn't be too much of a hassle, but wasn't sure if you could do it straight like that.

I'm glad you got it working.

Keep the peace.
Cheers mate!

Great!

So you restored an Exchange 2000 PF back into Exchange 2003?
If thats the case, then I've learned something as well. I know that that it can't be much of a hassle, but wasn't sure if you could do it straight like that.

I'm glad you got it working.

Keep the peace.
Cheers mate.

yes
just ensure the public folder store is called/named the "Same"

ie...

public folder store (on old server)
public folder store (on new server)
when the restore is pushed back

he also mentioned that he thinks exch2003 should have
sp1 or 2 whatever the latest is.

but now i have a user mailbox issue
that i need to restore her mailbox even though she is currently on 2003, so i think i have to
bring back up the exch 2k server

move her mailbox back to it, then try to restore over
export to pst
then move to exch 2003
that sound logical ??

Yep, Exchange 2003 SP2 is the way to go.

Your mailbox issue:

1> Leave her mailbox as is on the Exchange 2003 server.
2> Bring up the Exchange 2K server.
3> Export her mailbox from the Exchange 2K server [use exmerge or Outlook 2003/XP. Remember to select subfolders during the export).
4> After the export, copy the pst to the Exchange 2003 server.
5> Then use the EXMerge 2003 utility to import her mailbox using the following procedure:
a) Start EXMerge on the Exchange 2003 server.
b) At the screen where you enter the destination server info, you will find an "Options" button
c) Under Options > Import Procedure, select "Merge data into target store". This will leave her mailbox on the 2003 server intact, and only add the missing data from the 2000 server.
d) The rest of the procedure is pretty simple. Just choose her name from the list, then select the location of the pst, and voila!

The only thing is that the name of the pst has to be exactly the same as the name of the user. For example, if her username is Sexy.Cindy in AD, then you have to rename the pst to sexy.cindy.pst
Easy as pie.

Let us know how it goes.

Download Exmerge 2000/2003 here:

thanks chief !!

i was able to push her mailbox to Exch 2k
server
restore all inbox/sent/deleted

now i tried to move to Exch 2003 craps out though.

so i have to export to pst sent/deleted/inbox
then move to Exch 2003
then import all pst's
man !!!

btw...where can i get more info on this Exch 2003 recovery storage group ?

thanks do u have info on using exmerge like steps/how to ??
its in exch 2003 correct ???

also is there any other good info besides microsoft's encripted site on recovery storage groups
and good uses ?

thanks bud !!

Mate, exmerge is as easy as it gets. It is wizard driven, meaning that you just enter the info that it asks and away you go. It really isn't difficult.
As a test run, why don't you create a test mailbox on your Exchange server, send some mail to it, export the messages using exmerge, delete all the messages in the mailbox, and then import them back from the pst using exmerge? You really don't need a howto, believe me.

As for the RSG's, I'll see what I can come up with.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back