Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Restore Error 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

valoky

Technical User
Oct 6, 2004
US
Hi y'all,

I am having issues restoring data from a dlt tape to a win2000 client server. I am running NBU 3.4 Data Center on a windows server (master and media server). When I kick off the restore it goes off fine, picks up the correct media and then waits to position media for ages. It will then terminate with status code 5.
Please can anyone point me to the right direction to resolve this?

Cheers

Valoky

This can come from a veriety of sources. Make sure that the destination is set correct in the restore set screen. Make sure that the access rights are correct to the server/area/directory you are restoring to. I also get this when actioning Lotus Notes restores when I get the path to the ini file wrong.

Oh I forgot to say also you of course need at the very lest NB client loaded on the target server.

Cheers lenski, I have explored the lines of access rights to the directory, and infact added a user with admin rights to the destination directory on the D drive but i am still having this issue.
NB client agent is installed on the client server and this client has been backing up fine for over 3months now with no issues.
I have also set the verbosity to high and I have seen a new message (cannot write to socket, pipe broken)I can ping both servers from eachother and the client was backed up fine last night.

okay then the first thing is what changed between it working and failing? Second thing is check your timeouts.

Are you able to action a backup on that client. I also hate to say it but I normally get this error when everthing is working fine apart from my fingers and eyes.

We've got a mix of DLT7000 and DLT8000 drives. I'm not sure
if they are backward compatable because everytime I do a restore on the DLT7000 it bombs with a error 5. To get around it I download the DLT7000 drives - a pain though.

Thanks lenski and wallacealex.I have resolved the issue though.The problem I was having was that the firewall in the customer network was blocking the port used by NBU for the restore. To resolve this, we configured a port for restores and opened up the traffice through this port on the firewall and the restore completed successfully with no issue.

Cheers

Valoky

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back