Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

restore ended with 0 files

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sonk

Technical User
Jun 5, 2001
US
restore -xvf /dev/rmt1 /home/subdir/filename

This seems simple enough, but it restored 0 files. This was my 4th attempt. I cannot believe that it should take 3+ hours to restore ONE file! I did a restore -T to check to see how the file was listed on the tape first. It is

listed as /home/subdir/filename
not ./home/subdir/filename

Do you see anything wrong with this? s-)

I've had the same problem myself. I got around it by restoring the subdirectory, rather than the specific file. Don't know exactly why it worked, but it did.

is it possible there are hidden characters in the name? at the end maybe?
Maybe a wild card....?

No hidden characters, but just discovered the error of my ways. This apparently must be done from the root directory. Each of my failures occurred when I was in the directory where I wanted the file to be placed. I still do not understand why it takes over 3 hours for one small file to be restored. But it works starting from
$/
so I learned something. Thanks to both respondents!

The restore was looking at every single file that is on the tape before the file you wanted to restore. That is what takes so much time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back