Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Restore datafile without backup when in archivelog mode

Status
Not open for further replies.

haste

Programmer
Feb 27, 2005
GH
Hi,
would like the steps required to restore and recover a datafile given:
[ul square]
[li] there is no backup of the datafile [/li]
[li] the database is in archivelog mode[/li]
[li] archived logs exist from the creation of the database[/li]
[/ul]
I'm considering the scenario where the dba discovers that a datafile has been deleted on startup of the database.

What beats me after startup in nomount mode is how to recreate the lost datafile.

Haste,

Such a scenario is similar to saying, "I wish to rebuild a house...We have all of the raw materials, but no property or location upon which to build the house." As you can imagine, that I ain't gonna happen.

Oracle's Recovery mechanism depends upon your having a "basis" file (that you have backed up somewhere) upon which to apply the contents of your Archived Redo-Log Files (ARLFs). If you have no basis/baseline data file upon which Oracle can apply your ARLFs, then you are hosed.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

[santa]Mufasa
(aka Dave of Sandy, Utah, USA)
[ Providing low-cost remote Database Admin services]
Click here to join Utah Oracle Users Group on Tek-Tips if you use Oracle in Utah USA.

Thanks for the reply Santa. The Oracle 9i fundamentals 2 documentation a topic on it "Recovery without a backup" which was the source of my question. I had got stuck on how to recreate the datafile without a backup after restarting the database. Will review it again.

...And, definitely, Haste, if you encounter something "automagical" of which I am not aware (that will "produce gold from straw" in Recovery terms), please, please post it here. Good luck.

[santa]Mufasa
Click here to join Utah Oracle Users Group on Tek-Tips if you use Oracle in Utah USA.

Hi,
went thro the documentation. Its says recovery is possible without a backup given that:
[ul square]
[li]the datafile lost isnt a system or rollback segment file
[/li]
[li] and all archived logs exist from the time the file was existed.
[/li]
[/ul]

The last point is the one I overlooked. I dont have all archived redo logs coz the database was a new incarnation.

Am curiuos to know if it could still work given the database is a new incarnation.

The procedure involves the following:
[ul square]
[li] U take the datafile that isnt backed up offline if that database is open or take its tablespace offline if the database is open
[/li]

Code:
-- if database is closed
alter database datafile 5 offline;

-- if database is open, take its tablespace off line without wtiting to the datafile
alter tablespace example offline immediate;
[li]recreate the datafile[/li]
Code:
alter database create datafile 'C:\ORACLE9I\ORADATA\RECVR_DB\EXAMPLE01.DBF' as 'C:\ORACLE9I\ORADATA\RECVR_DB\EXAMPLE01b.DBF'
[li]Use RECOVER or ALTER DATABASE RECOVER to re-apply the logs[/li]
Code:
RECOVER TABLESPACE EXAMPLE;
[li]Bring the tablespace or datafile back online
[/li]
Code:
ALTER TABLESPACE EXAMPLE ONLINE;
[/ul]

I havent done this in practice. Have attached my failed attempt:
Code:
SQL> show spool
spool ON
SQL> archive log list
ORA-01034: ORACLE not available
SQL> startup mount
ORACLE instance started.

Total System Global Area  126950220 bytes                                       
Fixed Size                   453452 bytes                                       
Variable Size             109051904 bytes                                       
Database Buffers           16777216 bytes                                       
Redo Buffers                 667648 bytes                                       
Database mounted.
SQL> alter database archivelog;

Database altered.

SQL> archive log list
Database log mode              Archive Mode
Automatic archival             Enabled
Archive destination            C:\oracle9i\oradata\recvr_db\archive
Oldest online log sequence     25
Next log sequence to archive   26
Current log sequence           26
SQL> -- run workload generator
SQL> -- correction make whole database backup
SQL> -- make online backup of file to lose
SQL> select c.name, a.file#, a.name
  2  from v$tablespace c, v$datafile a , v$recover_file b
  3  where b.file#= a.file#
  4  and c.ts# = a.ts#
  5  /

no rows selected

SQL> ed
Wrote file afiedt.buf

1  select c.name, a.file#, a.name
  2  from v$tablespace c, v$datafile a 
  3* where c.ts# = a.ts#
SQL> /

NAME                                FILE#                                       
------------------------------ ----------                                       
NAME                                                                            
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
SYSTEM                                  1                                       
C:\ORACLE9I\ORADATA\RECVR_DB\SYSTEM01.DBF                                       

UNDOTBS1                                2                                       
C:\ORACLE9I\ORADATA\RECVR_DB\UNDOTBS01.DBF                                      

CWMLITE                                 3                                       
C:\ORACLE9I\ORADATA\RECVR_DB\CWMLITE01.DBF                                      

NAME                                                                            
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
DRSYS                                   4                                       
C:\ORACLE9I\ORADATA\RECVR_DB\DRSYS01.DBF                                        

EXAMPLE                                 5                                       
C:\ORACLE9I\ORADATA\RECVR_DB\EXAMPLE01.DBF                                      

INDX                                    6                                       
C:\ORACLE9I\ORADATA\RECVR_DB\INDX01.DBF                                         

NAME                                                                            
ODM                                     7                                       
C:\ORACLE9I\ORADATA\RECVR_DB\ODM01.DBF                                          

TOOLS                                   8                                       
C:\ORACLE9I\ORADATA\RECVR_DB\TOOLS01.DBF                                        

USERS                                   9                                       
C:\ORACLE9I\ORADATA\RECVR_DB\USERS01.DBF                                        

NAME                                                                            
XDB                                    10                                       
C:\ORACLE9I\ORADATA\RECVR_DB\XDB01.DBF                                          

10 rows selected.

SQL> ed
Wrote file afiedt.buf

1  select c.name, a.file#, a.name
  3* where c.ts# = a.ts#
SQL> set pages 400
SQL> /

NAME                                                                            

10 rows selected.

SQL> select * from dba_users
  2  where username ='OE";
ERROR:
ORA-01756: quoted string not properly terminated 

SQL> where username ='OE';
SP2-0734: unknown command beginning "where user..." - rest of line ignored.
  2  where username ='OE';
select * from dba_users
ERROR at line 1:
ORA-01219: database not open: queries allowed on fixed tables/views only 

SQL> alter database open;

Database altered.

2  where username ='OE';

USERNAME                          USER_ID PASSWORD                              
------------------------------ ---------- ------------------------------        
ACCOUNT_STATUS                   LOCK_DATE EXPIRY_DA                            
-------------------------------- --------- ---------                            
DEFAULT_TABLESPACE             TEMPORARY_TABLESPACE           CREATED           
------------------------------ ------------------------------ ---------         
PROFILE                        INITIAL_RSRC_CONSUMER_GROUP                      
------------------------------ ------------------------------                   
EXTERNAL_NAME                                                                   
OE                                     47 D1A2DFC623FDA40A                      
OPEN                                                                            
EXAMPLE                        TEMP                           12-MAY-02         
DEFAULT                        DEFAULT_CONSUMER_GROUP                           

SQL> select c.name, a.file#, a.name
  3  where c.ts# = a.ts#
  4  /

NAME                                                                            

10 rows selected.

SQL> -- will backup the Example tablespace
SQL> alter tablespace Example begin backup;

Tablespace altered.

SQL> SELECT STATUS FROM V$TABLESPACE
  2  ;
SELECT STATUS FROM V$TABLESPACE
ERROR at line 1:
ORA-00904: "STATUS": invalid identifier 

SQL> DESC V$TABLESPACE
 Name                                      Null?    Type
 ----------------------------------------- -------- ----------------------------
 TS#                                                NUMBER
 NAME                                               VARCHAR2(30)
 INCLUDED_IN_DATABASE_BACKUP                        VARCHAR2(3)

SQL> alter tablespace Example END backup;

Tablespace altered.

SQL> @C:\loci\TEMP\wkldgen\build_workload_generator.sql
Connected.

Synonym dropped.

Connected.

Package created.

No errors.

Package body created.

No errors.
Connected.

Synonym created.

Grant succeeded.

SQL> SHOW USER
USER is "SYSTEM"
SQL> CONN OE/OR@RECVR
ERROR:
ORA-01017: invalid username/password; logon denied 

Warning: You are no longer connected to ORACLE.
SQL> CONN OE/OE@RECVR
Connected.
SQL> SELECT TABLE_NAME FROM USER_TABLES;

TABLE_NAME                                                                      
------------------------------                                                  
CUSTOMERS                                                                       
INVENTORIES                                                                     
ORDERS                                                                          
ORDERS_L                                                                        
ORDER_ITEMS                                                                     
ORDER_ITEMS_L                                                                   
PRODUCT_DESCRIPTIONS                                                            
PRODUCT_INFORMATION                                                             
PRODUCT_REF_LIST_NESTEDTAB                                                      
SUBCATEGORY_REF_LIST_NESTEDTAB                                                  
WAREHOUSES                                                                      

11 rows selected.

SQL> CREATE TABLE CUSTOMERS_BAK AS
  2  SELECT * FROM CUSTOMERS;

Table created.

SQL> ARCHIVE LOG LIST
ORA-01031: insufficient privileges
SQL> show spool
spool ON
SQL> -- actual recovery of datafile without a backup
SQL> -- datafile examples will be deleted after shutdown
SQL> -- An online backup has been taken
SQL> shutdown immediate
ORA-01031: insufficient privileges
SQL> conn sys/manager@recvr as sysdba
Connected.
SQL> shutdown immediate
Database closed.
Database dismounted.
ORACLE instance shut down.
SQL> startup
ORACLE instance started.

Database mounted.
ORA-01157: cannot identify/lock data file 5 - see DBWR trace file 
ORA-01110: data file 5: 'C:\ORACLE9I\ORADATA\RECVR_DB\EXAMPLE01.DBF' 

SQL> select a.file#,  a.error from v$recover_file a;

FILE# ERROR                                                                
---------- -----------------------------------------------------------------    
         5 FILE NOT FOUND                                                       

SQL> select b.name, a.ts#, a.status, a.file#, a.name
  2  from v$tablespace b, v$datafile a
  3  where b.ts# = a.ts#
  4  /

NAME                                  TS# STATUS       FILE#                    
------------------------------ ---------- ------- ----------                    
NAME                                                                            
SYSTEM                                  0 SYSTEM           1                    

UNDOTBS1                                1 ONLINE           2                    

CWMLITE                                 3 ONLINE           3                    

DRSYS                                   4 ONLINE           4                    

EXAMPLE                                 5 ONLINE           5                    

INDX                                    6 ONLINE           6                    

ODM                                     7 ONLINE           7                    

TOOLS                                   8 ONLINE           8                    

USERS                                   9 ONLINE           9                    

XDB                                    10 ONLINE          10                    

10 rows selected.

SQL> -- EXAMPLE tablespace lost
SQL> alter database create datafile 'C:\ORACLE9I\ORADATA\RECVR_DB\EXAMPLE01.DBF' as ''C:\ORACLE9I\ORADATA\RECVR_DB\EXAMPLE01b.DBF';
alter database create datafile 'C:\ORACLE9I\ORADATA\RECVR_DB\EXAMPLE01.DBF' as ''C:\ORACLE9I\ORADATA\RECVR_DB\EXAMPLE01b.DBF'
                                                                                 *
ERROR at line 1:
ORA-00933: SQL command not properly ended 

SQL> ed
Wrote file afiedt.buf

1* alter database create datafile 'C:\ORACLE9I\ORADATA\RECVR_DB\EXAMPLE01.DBF' as 'C:\ORACLE9I\ORADATA\RECVR_DB\EXAMPLE01b.DBF'
SQL> /
alter database create datafile 'C:\ORACLE9I\ORADATA\RECVR_DB\EXAMPLE01.DBF' as 'C:\ORACLE9I\ORADATA\RECVR_DB\EXAMPLE01b.DBF'
ERROR at line 1:
ORA-01178: file 5 created before last CREATE CONTROLFILE, cannot recreate 

SQL> alter tablespace EXAMPLE offline immediate;
alter tablespace EXAMPLE offline immediate
ERROR at line 1:
ORA-01109: database not open 

SQL> alter database datafile 5 offline;

Database altered.

SQL> alter database create datafile 'C:\ORACLE9I\ORADATA\RECVR_DB\EXAMPLE01.DBF' as ''C:\ORACLE9I\ORADATA\RECVR_DB\EXAMPLE01b.DBF';
alter database create datafile 'C:\ORACLE9I\ORADATA\RECVR_DB\EXAMPLE01.DBF' as ''C:\ORACLE9I\ORADATA\RECVR_DB\EXAMPLE01b.DBF'
                                                                                 *
ERROR at line 1:
ORA-00933: SQL command not properly ended 

SQL> ed
Wrote file afiedt.buf

1* alter database create datafile 'C:\ORACLE9I\ORADATA\RECVR_DB\EXAMPLE01.DBF' as 'C:\ORACLE9I\ORADATA\RECVR_DB\EXAMPLE01b.DBF'
SQL> /
ERROR at line 1:

SQL> select status from v$instance;

STATUS                                                                          
------------                                                                    
MOUNTED                                                                         

SQL> alter database open;

Database altered.

SQL> alter database create datafile 'C:\ORACLE9I\ORADATA\RECVR_DB\EXAMPLE01.DBF' as 'C:\ORACLE9I\ORADATA\RECVR_DB\EXAMPLE01b.DBF';
ERROR at line 1:

SQL> alter tablespace example offline immediate;

Tablespace altered.

SQL> alter database create datafile 'C:\ORACLE9I\ORADATA\RECVR_DB\EXAMPLE01.DBF' as 'C:\ORACLE9I\ORADATA\RECVR_DB\EXAMPLE01b.DBF';
ERROR at line 1:

SQL> shutdown immediate;
Database closed.
Database dismounted.
ORACLE instance shut down.
SQL> spool off

Haste,

In your sample attempt, above, what lines indicate that you need to recover your database (i.e., that File 5 is corrupt or missing)? Secondly, what lines indicate that you experienced "Failure to Launch" the recovery that I can't see that you needed?

[santa]Mufasa

I omitted the errors on startup.Am not sure if it answers the second question. Please rephrase it if it doesnt.

Below is the omitted section:
Code:
SQL> startup
ORACLE instance started.

Database mounted.
ORA-01157: cannot identify/lock data file 5 - see DBWR trace file 

SQL> select a.file#,  a.error from v$recover_file a;

FILE# ERROR                                                                
---------- -----------------------------------------------------------------    
         5 FILE NOT FOUND                                                       

SQL> select b.name, a.ts#, a.status, a.file#, a.name
  2  from v$tablespace b, v$datafile a
  3  where b.ts# = a.ts#
  4  /

NAME                                  TS# STATUS       FILE#                    
------------------------------ ---------- ------- ----------                    
NAME                                                                            
SYSTEM                                  0 SYSTEM           1                    

UNDOTBS1                                1 ONLINE           2                    

CWMLITE                                 3 ONLINE           3                    

DRSYS                                   4 ONLINE           4                    

EXAMPLE                                 5 ONLINE           5                    

INDX                                    6 ONLINE           6                    

ODM                                     7 ONLINE           7                    

TOOLS                                   8 ONLINE           8                    

USERS                                   9 ONLINE           9                    

XDB                                    10 ONLINE          10                    

10 rows selected.

hi

because you are using a new incarnation of the db all previous archives associated with the previous instance are no longer valid for the current database (new incarnation). So recovery will never work.

Sy UK

Thanks Scunningham99 , I got that recovery is not possible. Previously, I thought having all the backups of the new incarnation would suffice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back