Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Restore database

Status
Not open for further replies.

Benouche

Programmer
Aug 6, 2002
FR
Hello,

The drive of my server (Oracle 8i on Windows) crashed. some databases were there. Fortunatly, I have been able to do a backup of the disc.

How to restore my database on the new drive ?

Thanks in advance,
Benouche

Hello,

Did you shutdown your databases before your backup?
If not, it will be difficult to restore.

But if your database was shutdown before the backup, just restore the all files and restart database !

thanks to your answer but I don't know what to reply ..

The drive crashed !
I don't have a backup of the database (Oracle backup) but a backup of the drive !!!!

Any hint ?

So, what's inside the drive? Oracle software? Datafiles? Can you list some of the contents here?
Robbie

"The rule is, not to besiege walled cities if it can possibly be avoided" -- Art of War

Hello Benouche,

We recently did some testing with crash scenario's where we took the server backup to a server of a vendor. The total restore of the server backup was enough to have the complete database back on line and working. I believe there are agents that can do a database restore from a complete server backup for ORACLE, but perhaps the complete server restore does the trick as well in your case. T. Blom
Information analyst
tbl@shimano-eu.com

On the drive, I had the Oracle Server (8i) and one database.

Of course, I look for a solution to restore the database (MANDATORY !).
On the other side, restoring the server would help a lot for configuration/setting parameters ... and getting the database works quickly !

My DBA didn't found a solution till now.

Blom0344,
what do you mean by 'total restore of the server backup'.
Does it mean copying all the files on the new server or is there any procedure ?

Any help is hotly welcome !

Benouche

If you only have a backup of your drive, and if this back up was done while the database was open, you can forget your database, or phone Oracle support to see if they have an extreme recovery solution.
If this backup was done while the database was stopped, just restore your drive and startup your database, it should be no problem.

Good luck!

There are several things to consider here:

1. Did you take the disk backups while the databases are down?
If yes, you are safe to restore all the offline backup files for the databases during that point in time.

2. Are you saying that only one database is affected with the crash? Ofcourse, needless to say that the others are affected because the Oracle software is affected too.
If yes again, better yet, you only need to restore one set of offline backup database files. For the rest of the databases, the Oracle will perform crash recovery.

3. Are your databases running in archivelog mode?
If yes, you do not need to restore all offline backup files for the database in the drive. You can only restore the affected datafiles then perform forward recovery (Incomplete Recovery).

I just hope that you did not do your backup while the DBs are up. Otherwise, you may need to find the oldest consistent backup and recover from there.

Robbie

"The rule is, not to besiege walled cities if it can possibly be avoided" -- Art of War

Okay,

I work primarily with DB2 , but we have ORACLE as well.
If I take the SERVER backup (Arcserve), which is a copy of the physical condition of the server at a given time, my server goes up in smoke , i order a new server and use the server back-up to put the back-up on the new server, we are in business again.
We actually tested this couple of weeks ago (by taking the server backup to the blue company) and we had everything up and running in halve a day.
This has nothing to do with DATABASE BACKUPS , but full server restore. We did not test it with ORACLE, but I find it hard to imagine that this would not be possible.

Of course you can not do a roll-forward , you are actually going back to the state of the disk at the time of the server backup. It is better than nothing , I think...

T. Blom
Information analyst
tbl@shimano-eu.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back