Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Restore creates serious performance hit 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

vark

MIS
Jul 18, 2000
CA
While doing a practice restore of a large database (10gb) the file/backup server practically ground to a halt. Timeouts all over the place. I noticed that it was quite slow locally too and the restore was taking place ONTO the backup servers disk itself so it wasn't a network bottleneck. Watching Task Manager processer peaked but not to a great extent and memory was fine. I suspect this is a SCSI bus problem. I have sinced restored another directory to a different location (not local) and although it slowed things down a little, it seemed not nearly as bad.

Has anyone had this experience? If yes, what did you do? The SCSI channel that the backup system is on shares only with CDROM.

Thanks
t

Unfortunately, this is a "common" problem. We have to do a large restore with no users. Anybody have a solution?
James P. Cottingham

When it comes to databases, it's best to not rely on backup software to restore the info unless it's a "last resort".

Most enterprise level database packages such as MS SQL Server and Sybase SQL Server have built-in backup routines (I use the Maintenance Plan feature included with MS SQL Server) that allow a "dump" of the data and associated transaction logs to static files on your server.

In most cases, these dumps can be scheduled as often as you feel necessary to maintain data integrity. Remember that each time you perform one, you are virtually duplicating the information in the database, so it's important to carefully restrict the length of time, or generation count of the dump to avoid running out of disc space.

I'm only assuming that you are using an "Enterprise Level" database system, but it seems to me that a 10GB database is a bit large for MS Access.

BackupExec can then be used to backup the static files for archive.

If you need the DB rebuilt, restore from the static "dump" created in the DB application via the SQL Server "restore wizard" itself.

Bottom line.....use the tools included with your RDBMS as much as possible. Use BackupExec to restore the database only as a last resort.

I hope this helps.

To be more specific, this is not a SQL database. This is a source integrity style database.
thanks

Good one SCANNER. Couldn't agree more.

TILO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back