Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

restore backup files

Status
Not open for further replies.

binayr

Programmer
Jul 3, 2006
US
How to restore backup files in Oracle for BI8

Thanks
Ben

Hi,

See the Cognos 8 Installation and Configuration guide, chapter 12 for details.

Regards,

MF.

Thanks MF, Infact I was looking for restoring the "sample data" in oracle. I did find in KB but it was for MS Sql server. If you know please help me out

Thanks Stefan, I tried that command its not working I think I don't understand the command very well what is "fromuser and touser"

imp gosl/gosl@orcl file=c:\temp\GOSL.DMP fromuser=GOSL touser=gosl

thanks
Ben

The command is to be pasted in a dosbox on the oracle server (asuming windows here) or on the C8 server which has all the full oracle client installed.

Let's break the line down to pieces:
imp gosl/gosl@orcl = imp is the oracle import command and gosl/gosl@orcl means that you login into oracle instance "orcl" with the oracle username "gosl" and the password "gosl".
Of course the user gosl with the same password has to be created before running the command.

file=c:\temp\GOSL.DMP = The lcoation of your file to be imported. I hate long path names, so i always copy the oracle user dumps from the C8 sample directory to my c:\temp folder.

fromuser=GOSL = The cognos oracle export includes the user name it was exported under. In this case GOSL.

touser=gosl = This is the oracle schema user where the export needs to be written to. Like i said, the user allready has to be there, with the rights needed as mentioned in the installation guide.

For the other 2 oracle exports connected to the cognso_samples.zip deployment file, the lines would be:

imp gort/gort@orcl file=c:\temp\GORT.DMP fromuser=GORT touser=gort
imp gosldw/gosldw@orcl file=c:\temp\GOSLDW.DMP fromuser=GOSLDW touser=gosldw

Stefan

Thanks Stefan, I'm getting error - IMP-00002: failed to open c:\temp\gosl.dmp for read

Give this one a try:

imp gosl/gosl@orcl file=c:\temp\GOSL.DMP fromuser=GOSL touser=gosl full=y log=gosl.log ignore=yes

What is the OS of the database server, what is the database server version and what type of client OS with what oracle client version are you using?

Stefan

Stefan, the OS is windowXP, the DB version is 10.2.0.1.0 and all this is loaded in my laptop. I tried the above command still getting the same error. is there any number I can reach you if you want you can reach me at 703-747-3899

Thanks
Ben

Stefan, this is the command I have written imp cognos_cs/cognos_cs@bea0 file=C:\Program Files\cognos\c8\webcontent\samples\datasources\oracle\GOSL.DMP fromuser=GOSL touser=cognos_cs full=y log=gosl.log ignore =yes

and I'm getting error IMP-00002 fialed to open imp cognos_cs/cognos_cs@bea0 file=C:\Program Files\cognos\c8\webcontent\samples\datasources\oracle\GOSL.DMP fromuser=GOSL touser=cognos_cs full=y log=gosl.log ignore =yes for read

Stefan, The command was perfactly fine its running and I imported the GOSL. I was missing the quote '' which is
'C:\Program Files\cognos\c8\webcontent\samples\datasources\oracle\GOSL.DMP' thanks for all your help.

I tried to import GORT with the same command I'm getting error ORA-00001: Unique Constrained(cognos_cs.sys_c006061) Violated.

Please help me out

Thanks Ben

I have created a line chart on y axis I have numers and on Xaxis i have moths but when the chart run the line are not starting from the origin(0)if somebody knows please help me out. if you need further info please let me know

Thanks
Ben

Ben,
You're not helping yourself here (or you're having a bad day).
You haven't replied to Stefan and you're asking a completely unrelated question instead.

soi la, soi carré

Dear drlex, I got new and urgent assignment that's why I have to leave it in the midle once this report is finished I'm going to work on it. I'm the only person who is working on the cognos if its hurt you or Stefan in anyway I apolosize for that. Please help me out

Thanks
Ben

Ben,
I'm not upset or offended by your post; the problem is that you're unlikely to get answers to a question about charting in a thread about restoring from backup.

I suggest you might post a new thread and put in a bit more detail (e.g. Cognos application and version). FWIW, if it's Series 8 or ReportNet, I'm afraid I can't help.

lex

soi la, soi carré

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back