Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Restore backed up file

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cantor

Programmer
Apr 27, 2000
CA
Hi, I have QIC Files from Win 98, now I have Windows 2000 and I can't restore them. How I can made it?.
Please help me, I have a lot of important information.

Thanks,
Cantor

When I want to restore the file, I must import the qic file and then the error message occurs : "The file is not runnable. Erase the file or choose another one." I hope the file is not corrupted or stuff like that.

Thanks for response,
Cantor

Please give me a bigger picture of what you are exactly doing. I'm still don't see exactly what you are doing.

Bill.

I'll try to give you a better picture, but sorry, i'm not too good in english.
I've formatted my hard drive but before this, I partionned him like this c: -> HD_1 and the new one d: -> HD_2. I've made a backup of some files (mydoc.qic) with MS Backup and save it on HD_2. So I formatted the HD_1 and installed win2000 instead of win98.
Now, I want to restore mydoc.qic which is store on HD_2. So I start the back up program of win2000 and I choose the Restore Wizard. It ask me to select the backup file I want to restore. So, I import mydoc.qic from HD_2 but it doesn't work at this point. This message occurs:"The file is not runnable. Erase the file or choose another one.".
I hope the situation is clearer.

Thanks,
Cantor

Thank you
I found this article who is exactly what I need : Q155979

According to Microsucks this is desighed behavior since ntbackup (used in win2k) does not support the qic113 standard that was used by msbackup (used by win95, 98, me)

I am looking for a third party QIC-compatible restore application which will run under W2000. So far I failed to find anything.

If you are following this thread and have any leads, please respond.

Hi
I have recently backed up on of my drives on my server using two dds tapes and the standard win2k server backup agent.
Since backing it up i have lost one of the tapes and cannot restore, as the backup agent asks for both tapes.
Is there anyway around this so that i can retreive just one tape from a 2 tape backup

I cannot retore a backup.qic file with MSbackup and get the message "the current media does not contain any backup sets". The backup was made on another computer which also ran Win98. The backup was originally made to a Zip disk.
Any ideas?

For anyone wanting to bypass Microsofts ineptness and restore those win98 backup files to win2k go to download.com and download "backup mypc". Start the program and get past the popup windows. Then, go to the Restore panel and under "restore from" select "file". Then go to "tools" at the top and select "catalog import". Find the backup file and you should be ready to restore your files. You have to wonder where Microsofts head is at sometimes when the miss something as obvious as this one. Good luck all.

Hey helpfulltech, thanks...that is exactly what I needed.....much appreciuated.

Can you restore data this way from floppy disks?? I can't get it to work!!! It was backed up using win98 & even using that storm program I'm having no luck.

I have a windows 98 SE system that died. Last week we did a full backup using the windows 98 backup program to the D drive (a 15 GIG hard drive), verified the data and all (we thought) was well. I reloaded windows 98.

I went to restore the back up and got the following message "the current media does not contain any backup sets". "Closing the program." HELP!!!!!!

All of the backups (5 of them done at different tinmes and of different file selections) give the same message. I have removed the hard drive with the backups on and tried it on two other windows 98 machines with exactly the same results. The major backup is 1.3Gigs and verified perfectly just 5 days ago. But I cant open it.

Are there any programs I can download to read a QIC file that windows 98 backup wont read? Is there any other solution that anyone can help me with?

Many many thanks.

Ken

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back