Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Restore a program minimized to the system tray

Status
Not open for further replies.

eblattner

Programmer
Aug 10, 2000
Hello all, I have a problem (duh!) I wrote a shell program a few years back in VB6 that replaces Windows Explorer on startup. This was written for a SysAdmin so his users could only have a few choices when running apps.

The problem I have now is with PCAnywhere. Being that Windows Explorer is not the default shell, there is no task bar. He is starting PC Anywhere as a service when windows starts, then it minimizes to the system tray. The shell I wrote lists all running applications so the user can choose one when they minimize it, but PC Anywhere does not show up in the list, thus it can not be restored to a window. The shell is not starting PC Anywhere, so I can't get a handle to the window.

I need a way to open the PC Anywhere window, from the invisible system tray. I haven't been able to find a way to enumerate and get the handles to the programs running in the system tray. I think that may be a way to resolve my problem, but if anyone has any ideas, please let me know.

This program was written in VB6, and runs on over 50 Win98, Win2k, and WinXP machines.

Oh, one more thing, I can't install anything extra on these machines. The shell runs with no installation files. Right now, everything is done using API calls.

Thanks again!

FindWindow or EnumWindows is not finding the PCAnywhere?

Good Luck

No, I guess because there is really no window. I am using EnumWindows to get a list of current windows. It lists all windows, but not anything running in the task bar. FindWindow was another option I tried, but with no luck :(

I didn't think about that, I'll try and let you know how it works out, THANKS!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back