Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Restore a deleted message for a single user mailbox 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 5, 2007
US
I have a callpilot 703t release 2.1.27 and I have a user who deleted a message, but needs to get the deleted message back. Is there a way I can restore a deleted message from a previous backup tape for this 1 single mailbox user?

YOu can restore a system using a backup but retrieving that single message depends on when your backup was run. If you backup on sundays, and the message was received on monday, deleted on tuesday, and they notified you on wednesday then no, you cannot get it. if the message came in on friday, you did a backup on sunday, they get the message on monday, deleted it, and they notified you on wednesday they need it then yes, you can use the backup to get it. What happens though is other people may lose messages that they needed when you backed up for the original issue.

Make sense? lol

JohnThePhoneGuy

"If I can't fix it, it's not broke!

This is a quote from allenmac out of a different thread.

I have noticed this with customers that do not have a very good inventory of backup tapes, and rotate the same couple of tapes in and out of the tape drive constantly.

It is also a good idea to periodically clean the tape heads.

I prefer to eliminate the tape backup altogether, and simply backup to a Network drive. I do a weekly full system backup, and daily user archives for all of my CallPilot servers, and I have never had a problem restoring data from the network.

I regularly get users that have accidentally deleted messages that they want to get back, and as long as they were backed up, I have never had a problem restoring from the user archive.

-just my 2 cents.

War Eagle!
Lions Baseball '09!

I donot want to restore the system, I just want to restore a single mailbox user. Can this be done and if so, can someone please explain how to do it?
Thanks!

Did you read my post where I quoted allenmac?

Here it is again:

I do a weekly full system backup, and daily user archives for all of my CallPilot servers, and I have never had a problem restoring data from the network.

I regularly get users that have accidentally deleted messages that they want to get back, and as long as they were backed up, I have never had a problem restoring from the user archive.

You can perform user archives only so that messages can be restored without restoring the whole system. Go to:

System/Backup-Restore/Add Backup/ and under Backup Type, choose User Archive.

I believe you are out of luck in this particular case because you don't have a current user archive. But you can perform these archives from now on and have a resolution if this comes up again in the future.

War Eagle!
Lions Baseball '09!

So then from now on I would have to perform two different backups for the system and user messages? I thought a full system backup would take care of these problems?

Thanks!

A full system backup is for needing to restore the whole database such as when the hard drive crashes or something like that. Archives are smaller, more independent backups for specific items that need restoring such as user archives, app builder archives, individual drive backups, etc.

War Eagle!
Lions Baseball '09!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back