Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Restarts Automaticaly

Status
Not open for further replies.

dvannoy

MIS
May 4, 2001
US
Has anyone out there ever heard of this problem. all of the sudden within the last few days win2000 will reboot itself with out me doing anything..I will walk away from the computer and 99% of the time when i return it's restarting..

Just started happening

Thanks in advance DVannoy
A+,Network+,CNA
dvannoy@onyxes.com

Are you showing any errors in the event viewer or Dr. Watson log? Is your machine set to restart on failure?

I have almost the same problem, except I will be working on win2000 and then mine will just go black and reboot. In my event viewer I get these two entries. (1) The driver detected a controller error on \Device\Harddisk0\DR0. And (2) a parity error was detected on \Device\Ide\IdePort0.

I hope someone can help. I was thinking perhaps I need a new power supply. The motherboard is New (DFI AK-75 w/1GHz processor). :(

Are you walking away from the system long enough for the screen saver to kick in or perhaps the power management. Try disabling power management (set for always on) and disable your screensaver and see how that works.

I have a client that has a similar problem except that it reboots when it is starting up. Once it reboots a second time it's fine.

Any ideas? Haven't checked his Event Log yet. He has an IBM Intellistation, SCSI hard drive. We thought the problem was that he was running several SCSI devices on the same card (including the hard drive). We installed a second SCSI and that solved his performance problems but now I found out about the rebooting.

Here's the info on the pc:
IBM FireGL 2 (64MB) AGP 4X
SoundMAX on system board
Single speaker built into system
Adaptec 29160 LP Ultra 160 SCSI adapter (single channel)
512MB ECC PC600 RDRAM (2@256MB RIMM)
18.2 GB Wide Ultra3 (160MB/s) SCSI @15,000 rpm
Single Pentium III 1000MHz

Thanks, gemini531

Check to see what is in the system registry at:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/software/Microsoft/windows/currentversion/runonce

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/software/Microsoft/windows/currentversion/run

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back