Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Restarting a PC remotely 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

juliaatpcgp

Technical User
Aug 21, 2006
GB
Hi,

I have a colleague who uses Remote Desktop to log onto her work PC but it has become so slow that she can't work on it.

The only way I know of restarting a computer on Remote Desktop is on the odd occasion when some Windows updates have been installed and the system requires a restart because then you have an icon in the system tray that allows a restart, otherwise you only have Log off and Disconnect on the Start menu, not Shut Down (giving the Shut Down/Restart options).

Is there another way of restarting perhaps with the aid of a program that gives the restart option via a desktop icon or similar ?

I do hope you can help me, because otherwise I can't help her until I get back to the office on Tuesday morning.

Regards,
Julia

When connected to the RD session, in the Start menu, you will find 'Windows Security'. This will launch Windows Task Manager on the remote computer. And in the Task Manager Shutdown menu, you will find the normal shutdown commands, including Restart.

Once connected to your remote desktop open up notepad and paste this into notepad without the quote's "SHUTDOWN -r -t 01" and then save it as restart.bat on your desktop. Whenever you want to reboot just double click this batch file and it should reboot the PC.

Is she an administrator on the machine? If she isn't she may not be able to restart it. Gets even worse if your site runs some strange Active Directory policy that prevents certain operations.

Hi Superamit,

I have just realised I didn't write back to thank you for your suggestion which enabled me to shut down this PC and (if I need to) any other PCs to which I have remote access using Remote Desktop.

Regards,
Julia

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back