Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

RESTART problems if PCIe installed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drewsoftware

Programmer
Dec 28, 2006
US
Need to find out if anyone else has had this problem (and possibly has a solution).

Presario SR2050NX. Works fine out of the box. However, if the Bios is told to use the PCIe slot as the default video driver, upon RESTART it always hangs at the red COMPAQ initialization screen and the entire system freezes (won't even ctrl-alt-del out of the freeze). If the system is totally shut off and turned back on, boots just fine. But a RESTART boot fails every time if the PCIe is chosen as default video.

I have tried using both ATI and Nvidia PCIe cards (of course with the appropriate drivers) so it seems narrowed down to either a BIOS problem (in which case other users should be noticing this) or a bad motherboard.

Feedback?

are you disabling the second video card when attempting to use the other?

Yeah, definitely. Disabled all drivers, removed all card entries from Devices, etc etc ad nauseum.

After I posted I did a little more exploration today. Finally found out there is a conflict somewhere between the Presario PCIe and a USB-connected external hard drive I was using (brand: Western Digital My Book). When I disconnnected the external drive, the problem disappeared. However, the problem did not happen on an identically-configured Gateway computer, so it seems some kind of internal conflict between the Compaq and the My Book. I'm a programmer and consultant, but not really deep-tech enough to figure out where the actual conflict exists. But there you have it: Presario PCIe and My Book USB conflict.

Anyone tech enough to figure out a possible fix? As it is, the solution is to either disconnect the external HD or settle for the on-board graphics card (neither of which is a desirable solution).

---***--- Drew Software deals in Personality Management software designed to reduce employee turnover by matching people to the right jobs and improving workplace communications.

Not sure NoCal. It's hard to keep track of everything going on inside Windows these days, but didn't have anything show up as a conflict. What's your favorite way of checking for conflicts? In the rush I might have forgotten to check for something.

---***--- Drew Software offers highly accurate Personality
Evaluation software. Reduce turnover. Improve job satisfaction.

>type msinfo32 in the Run line<

Yup. Since the external HD is a usb device, there shouldnt' be a IRQ conflict at all with a PCI device. Nothing showed as a conflict. All USB's and PCIs showed up neatly listed in their own separate areas. Plus there's the fact that the problem doesn't happen on an identically-configured Gateway-- only on the Compaq. grrrr.

Thinking of selling my computer, purchasing some fishing supplies... :D

---***--- Drew Software offers highly accurate Personality Evaluation software. Reduce turnover. Improve job satisfaction.

The kind of stupid thing I would do: (It's surprising how often stupid works)
Rather than unplug remove the device while it is installed (From System Manger). Shut down, remove cards (if not already removed), install card, restart. Shut down, connect WD Book and restart, letting windows (you hope) assign it resources not disputed by Video card. (Ie give the card first run at the resources).

See what you think of this:

The MyBook is an external hard drive. No drivers (except from standard Windows USB and HD access drivers). System doesn't even recognize it as being there unless it is plugged in and turned on. So your feedback on this: if I'm right... doesn't that automatically give the graphic card override? (ie, the MyBook wasn't installed when I installed the graphic card, so should already be the case). Plus, graphic card installed or not, if I tell the system to use the on-board (motherboard) graphic card instead, everything works just fine. Also, doesn't matter which PCIe graphic card I use (ATI or Nvidia) still the same problem.

It's perplexing, for sure. I think I've figured out the core problem though: Compaq screwy. :D

-- Drew Software offers highly accurate Personality Evaluation software. Reduce turnover. Improve job satisfaction.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back