Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

restart problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

slimkh

MIS
Jul 4, 2006
SA
I have a desktop, with intel 975xbx motherboard, 3.0 dual core cpu. the problem is that its restarting by itself with no blue screen or any dump. I checked the event log, there is notification of any hardware failures. The restart happens as if they elec went off and came back again.
I tried replacing the memory, with no result
I also replaced the power supply, with no result

NB: I noticed when i was removing my parallel prnter cable that i was electrocuted. I don't know if this might help.

Thank you

The term electrocution can mean either:

accidental death or suicide by electric shock

JohnThePhoneGuy

"If I can't fix it, it's not broke!

are u sure there is thermal paste btw. cpu and cooler? what when u stay in bios for a while, does it shutoff 2, or when u boot a linux life-cd?

Has this system worked properly in the past, or has it happened recently? following some change in the system?

Hmm, about your printer thing. Are all of your peripherals connected to say the same power bar? That should avoid such issues.

Either overheating or a ghetto powersupply are the most common culprits.

IT Admin (PBX Newbie)
Nortel Option11
Version 1411
Release 21
Issue 7+
MerMail 10.7.2

Given the additional symptom of electric shock, I'd say something is causing some bad electrical goings ons.

I had one part that caused similar problems to what you are experiencing before. Mine was a t.v./radio adapter card. The cause was apparently that I was using a cable modem, and running cable in on the t.v. card. Well, I started noticing a drastic slow-down in internet speeds, and my cable company ran tests, and found some "noise" on the cable line. I looked over the web, and found many others had similar problems in this situation. I think it has something to do with the way that cable is grounded. Anyway, I removed the t.v. card, no problems. Oh, and I got shocked a few times before I figured out what it was. That was terribly annoying. Me.. no... like... getting... shocked. [smile]

--

"If to err is human, then I must be some kind of human!" -Me

thx guys for all the thoughts, i think i got the problem. My UPS plug was overheating. now i'm testing the system on another UPS.

The System was working fine since i assembled it. I did no hardware change or anything at all.

I'll keep u posted

Check that the HSF is well-seated. If one of those clips gets unseated your CPU overheats and resets. Happened to me before.

Tony

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back