Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Response to Fujitsu 9600 and E630 Systems

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cfayard

Technical User
Aug 3, 2004
US
thread841-1811255

This is a response to the closed thread above

Hello, I can speak to the Fujitsu 9600 for the american market. I worked for Fujitsu Business Communications Systems, the subsidiary of parent company Fujitsu, that manufactured and maintained the Fujitsu 9600 series pbx line until it shutdown in Dec of 2001. You are correct the F9600 floppy disks are not DOS format, they are a Fujitsu proprietary format called FACOM. What I was told was back in the 70's or 80's Fujitsu didn't want to pay the fee for a license to use the DOS format disks so they made their own. They are still 1.44 MB size disks just with a specific format of tracks and sectors. The had a machine at the factory that could format them. At one point I new the specifics of what the format was, but sadly that info is lost to time. I do have a complete set of the F9600 Technical Documents in pdf format that I could provide you if you don't have it. It's 120 MBs in size. I do recall making a backup of a 9600 on floppys was a pain, it took between 18 and 22 disks depending on the system and release, and took about 45 minutes to complete. You crossed your finger that disk 17 didn't have a failure that would cause the entire backup to fail and you've wasted about an hour of your time. Shortly before they shutdown FBCS released the F9600c switch, which had IP connectivity and you could FTP a backup. Vastly preferable!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back