Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

resources plus physical logons

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hfnet

IS-IT--Management
Dec 31, 2003
GB
Hello, just after ideas here really.

We have migrated a client to exchange 2010 and have created 3 room resources for their meeting rooms.

Each meeting room has a pc which needs to have a connection to the network. They want to be able to email docs and stuff to the meeting rooms, and we explained that this is already possible. We don't want users to use their own logins really as they may wander off and leave the room. We have a 5 minute lock policy but then they would have to come and log off.

How do other people deal with having logons in meeting rooms while at the same time prevent people trying to create meetings o that logon?

Resource mailboxes were never intended to be used as you are using them. They are always supposed to use disabled AD accounts. I would recommend that you create a separate "Meetings" mailbox that you use when in a meeting room to access specific emailed files and completely stop using the resource mailboxes themselves to receive mail.

Dave Shackelford
ThirdTier.net
TrainSignal.com

Ah no, you misunderstand. We have 3 resources, Meeting Room 1, 2 and 3. We have also a single user account called space (for want of something better) that each PC is logged on as.

The problem I have personally is that users can book a meeting fine form their desks, attach whatever they like and away they go.

But if they are in the meeting room and want to book that room or another, they need to remember to include themselves in the meeting, but this also shows organizer as "Space" instead of them.

In addition, we have set Outlook to open to Calendar, but even though we have moved the "Space" calendar to another group to try hiding it (just having the meeting rooms showing), it still shows the Space user calendar on opening.

I was wondering if anyone had better ways of working.

Thanks.

How about restrict user in the meeting rooms to log on as the Space account but only use OWA mail and log on to that as themselves. That way they have all the normal rights to book the room and the room is booked as themselves. The only other option I can think of is to give the Space account Send-As or FullAccess rights on all the user mailboxes, and I don't think you want to go there!

Dave Shackelford
ThirdTier.net
TrainSignal.com

This is about where I was with it too, but the client is very fussy about users being able to just work, and not have to think about anything! Obviously opening Outlook is much quicker and works faster than OWA, unfortunately.

It seems that the way we are working currently is probably going to have to remain.

Thanks for the reply though, sometimes things just have to stay more complex than we would like!

They don't realise half of what they have, even down to having Citrix...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back