Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Resources not available after user changes password

Status
Not open for further replies.

Debnla

Vendor
Mar 5, 2007
US
We have Windows Server Standard 2003. Users have XPPro. We use active directory.

When users change their password due to the expirty policy, they cannot access their mapped drives any longer. Also, when they start Outlook (we have Exchange) they have to type in their user ID and password and check to save before Outlook will open for them.

This only occurs when users change their network password.

What could be causing this? Or what can I check/change to prevent this from happening.

I do not have this problem, but then I have admin rights.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Have they logged out and back in since they changed their password? Outlook caches the password and, if changed after Outlook starts, will continue to attempt to connect to the server with the old password (Outlook 2003).

Thank you for your response DThornton123. Yes, they have logged out and back in. They did not have Outlook open yet as well. In the attempt to try and solve this, user rebooted, (hard and soft) as well.

My issue is still open and unresolved. :(

Is there another forum I can seek help? It would be nice to reach more people that may have had this similar problem.

Thanks so much in advance.

Not sure about this, but I would check your password policy and see what the minimum age is set to. Set it to "0" and see if tha helps.

It almost sounds like your users are not really in the AD domain.

What you are describing seems like what happens when you map drives with XP Home onto the AD server and change the password. Or maybe like when some of your users are logging in locally on a machine account and not the network? Or if they were possibly in a workgroup configuration and not truely authenticating into the domain?

4H PLUMBING - IT Director / METALBUILDING.COM - CTO
THINK BINARY - Founder / OBW - Technical Analyst

Designing, Developing, Coding, Debugging & Hosting 1995 to Present.
NT 3.51/4.0/2k/2.3k/OS2/Linux/FreeBSD/ASP/PHP/SQL/VB/VBS/VBA
I ran my first BBS on two 300 baud modems. One of them had a coupler.

Thanks Twizted for your reply.

Hm we do not have XP home.

Also, the domain name is under their login id/password when they log onto the network. Is there another way to know if they are "really" in the AD domain? What other ways to know if they are logging into a workgroup? Do you think it is the same name as the domain?

In the username box, enter it as domainname\username and then their password in the password box.

I'm Certifiable, not cert-ified.
It just means my answers are from experience, not a book.

Thanks Davetoo-really appreciate the reply! Is this different from chosing the domain name in the "Log on to:" box? My IT outside consultant told me it's the same thing. Maybe he is wrong?

The users actually do not have a problem logging onto the network in terms of logging in from their PC starting at the logon screen. It's only when they change their network password (when the prompt comes up that says password is expiring or has expired, please enter a new password) is when they can't access their mapped drives and Outlook. They can get onto the network, just not these 2 resources.

Also, I did not mention the fix we are doing while finding a permanent solution.

To solve it, we have to delete the mapped drive and reconnect it exactly how it was before. Then the user can access it. We have to delete it and recreate it EVERYTIME the user changes their password.

For Outlook, when they click on the icon to start Outlook, a prompt comes up asking them for a userid and password and then theres a checkbox to save the settings. You can see the user's inbox and the rest of Outlook behind this prompt. When we enter the userid with the new password, and save it, Outlook will open normally and there will be no problem after that...until they change their password again.

Granted we can keep doing this everytime the users change their passwords, but it seems to be an odd and unproductive way to handle something that should work seamlessly.

Scottew--my apologies for not seeing your post up there! :( Thanks for replying! Well, we had the password retention set to 0 in the past and it was changed to have expiry of 30 days due to having to implement a security policy--that's why user's are changing their passwords otherwise they never will.

Our Internal IT guy made these changes and not too sure what his qualifications are to begin with :(. He doesn't think it has anything to do with what he did but never offers to solve this problem. (Which is why I'm here today...)

What do you guys think of this MS link? If you can't get to it, it is article 890951

It almost sounds like our problem except users are NOT logging on to the local pc. They really are logging into the domain as per the login screen shows.

domainname\username is the same as selecting the domain from the drop down. However, I offered it up as an option because it ensures the user is going into the domain and nothing "odd" is happening.

I'm Certifiable, not cert-ified.
It just means my answers are from experience, not a book.

Hello, sorry it took so long to reply, but the problem took this long to happen again. This time I tried to have the user log on as Davetoo suggested and it still did not work.

At any rate, I am now seeking professional help and actually paying some outside vendor to come in to our network and "clean it out" and hopefully it will clear this problem as well. I honestly didn't think this problem was going to be easy to find as I'm sure our DNS is screwed up along with our client configurations.

Thanks for all the replies!

It sounds as though the Exchange Server and the mapped drive are the ones not actually in the domain. The password change isn't getting propagated to those servers. Are they in the same AD Organizational Unit ? Also, have your tried doing away with the Desktop mappings, and having the mapping done at the domain login ?

like Twizted - not certifed, just years and years of experience. My first programming was on Tektronix 4050 series desktops, in Basic with 26 variables, A-Z.

Fred Wagner

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back