Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Resource Sharing between VLANS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Routers

IS-IT--Management
Mar 6, 2001
IN
Hi

We have 3 numbers of 3548 Switches and 3508 Gigabit Switch and 2621 Router. I need to do Vlan on this switches. Interswitch Communication is through 3508 Gigabit backbone.
I had tried with ISL Trunking and it is working fine. Now i need to share a Pc and a Printer in one VLAN with the other one. Can any one help me in implementing this.

Thanks in advance..

Regards
ShanmugaKumar

When you setup 2 differnt VLANs you will need to also setup a gateway for both the VLANs. Each device on a VLAN will have a default gateway, this way services on different VLANs will be able to communicate to each other via the gateway.

NB: this only needs to be done when you are using multiple VLANS.

How to restrict one vlan members to access PCs in other Vlan and enable only Internet Browsing Services. Could any one help me on this

You will need a router for 2 vlans to share resources preferably a fastethernet router because the router needs to trunk at 100mbps for good performance although you could use a 10mbps but that defeats the purpose. I use a 2621 router (2fasteth ports)for 2 vlans 1 windows net 2nd unix net or if you have a router with a single ethernet port configure a port on the switch with 2 vlan ids also 2 ip addresses on the router (secondary) There is also a switchport command in global config. Trunking should be LSL. Hope this helps

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back