Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Resource Registry Environmental Variable

Status
Not open for further replies.

MPTC

MIS
Dec 12, 2003
US
I am trying to debug a problem (which start after getting a new machine with Windows XP while still using 6.7.1) with the resource registry and I read in the documentation that there is a trace file for the resource registry. The documentation says to set the following environmental variable: MERC_LOG_RES_ALIAS.

Where do I set this variable? In the .ini file?

Thanks

Right click on My Computer on the desktop. Select Properties and then the Advanced tab and Environment Variables is the 2nd option.

What is the problem with the resource registry? The OS should have nothing to do with it. If you had any patches on the old machine, were these added to the new 6.7.1 install?

BocaBurger
<===========================||////////////////|0
The pen is mightier than the sword, but the sword hurts more!

Thanks ManchesterTim and BocaBurger for responding.

I did have two patches on the old machine: 15898 and 17340. I have installed both of these on the new machine. The problem with the resource registry is that it doesn't work. I have setup everything that I am aware of that needs to be setup for the registry to work but I am probably missing something. Can you verify that these are the items that need to be in place for the registry to work?

1. Resource name file created and in place. (Same file used on previous machine.)
2. Resource configuration file created and in place. (Same file used on previous machine.) (Note: using Global Option)
3. Resource configuration file referenced in the Event Server Administrator.
4. Resource configuration file referenced in the .ini file.
5. Resource configuration file referenced in Map Designer for use when running maps from Map Designer.

Thanks

Do you have fully qualified paths in all the locations and did you check for typos?

Start Event Server with debugging from the Management Console. The Event Server or compoundsystem.LOG file will have an entry for the resource registry.

Dumb question: Was the new machine added to the Resource Registry entries in the RR files?

BocaBurger

BocaBurger,

I have checked the paths several time. The paths actually refer to a network drive that is not on the machine so I did not need to modify them to run them from the new machine.

Here are the entries that reference the resource config file from debug logs. As you can see in the first two show that the server is unable to load the config file. I'm not sure why this is. The two attemps are testing the orignal name of the config file and a location on a network drive and then the default name (resource.mrc) with a location in the install directory. The .mrc file seems to be okay. I can open it with the RR without a problem.

Entry in CompoundSystem log # 1
>>> Fri May 06 10:45:50 2005
SPECIAL: # 0
Unable to load resource config file
S:\Information Technology\IAS\Software Systems\EDI\Mercator\Resources\EdiConfigurationFile.mrc

Entry in CompountSystem log # 2
>>> Fri May 06 10:33:18 2005
SPECIAL: # 0
Unable to load resource config file
C:\Program Files\mercator6.7\resource.mrc

Entry in EventServer log # 1
May 6, 2005 10:45:50 AM.
Command line for starting the system NSF to 8374010A1.msl; is c:\PROGRA~1\MERCAT~1.7\mercntsvns.exe 'C:\Program Files\mercator6.7\Systems\NSF to 8374010A1.msl' -s9000,9001,9002 -d146='c:\PROGRA~1\MERCAT~1.7\logs\CompoundSystem5-6-05-10-45-50-AM.log' -LEWSC='c:\PROGRA~1\MERCAT~1.7\logs\CompoundSystem5-6-05-10-45-50-AM.txt' -c'S:\Information Technology\IAS\Software Systems\EDI\Mercator\Resources\EdiConfigurationFile.mrc'.

Entry in EventServer log # 2
Command line for starting the system NSF to 8374010A1.msl; is c:\PROGRA~1\MERCAT~1.7\mercntsvns.exe 'C:\Program Files\mercator6.7\Systems\NSF to 8374010A1.msl' -s9000,9001,9002 -d146='c:\PROGRA~1\MERCAT~1.7\logs\CompoundSystem5-6-05-10-32-08-AM.log' -LEWSC='c:\PROGRA~1\MERCAT~1.7\logs\CompoundSystem5-6-05-10-32-08-AM.txt' -c'C:\Program Files\mercator6.7\resource.mrc'.

As far as your question goes, I am using the Global option in the config file so I don't think I need to make any changes to this file.

Thanks

Are you starting the event server as system or as a local user who has access and rights to the network drive?

BocaBurger

As a local user who has access and rights to the network dirve. This has never been a problem before. Maybe the XP environment or a new network configuration is causing a problem?

Could be XP rights and your Domain controller, but if there is an mrc on the local drive... How was the file put there? Via FTP?
Off the wall, try putting the file in a directory path where there are no spaces in the path name. Don't just use the Global section in the RR, use the server section too.

In the mercator.ini set the location in both sections, the first at the top of the file and then under the launcher area.

BocaBurger

The .mrc file was put on the local drive through Windows Explore while at the machine. I did try moving the .mrc file to c:\ and that had no affect. Also, I have had the reference to the .mrc in the .ini file set in both locations.

Regarding a rights issue, something else I have run into after switching to XP is that I can't use my usual Deployment Directory on the network drive. The server never finds the .msl files in it. It will find them in the install directory\systems however. I will check with my network people to see what we can find.

Any more suggestions?

I think it has something to do with the network. I have a Win2K box that I have been using to put files from a network drive to an external FTP server for over a year. All of a sudden, I can't drag and drop anymore. Same thing from my local drive, but I can copy and paste the files, using the menu. Can't see the FTP server at all from my XP box, and now I can't see the XP box from my W2k box either.
If you have XP Sp2, there might be something in the new defaults that help cause this too.

I run Linux mostly at home :)

BocaBurger

Thanks for your help. I'll let you know if I get it figured out.

Is 'S:\Information Technology\IAS\Software Systems\EDI\Mercator\Resources\EdiConfigurationFile.mrc' a path the id running the services can see? Sure sounds like an autho issue.

You could use create a map that will attempt to get the directory info via an event.

Have you set a path for the resource registry through Event Server Administration? This may be overriding the .ini setting.
Also run the event server under a user that has permissions to the mapped drive not Local System Account.
I had problems with ODBC connection after moving from NT to win2K which was permissions - I had to run under a user with higher access priviledge.

Thanks for your responses eyetry and janhes.

I guess what the ID running the service is the question to answer. I am going to get with our network administrator and see what we can find out.

As far as setting the path in the Event Server Administration, I have done this. I will experiment with the permissions of the user.

Thanks for your help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back