Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Resource Allocation, can I do it by groups??

Status
Not open for further replies.

RougeDev

Programmer
Jun 26, 2002
US
I'm working on project that involves a large amount of manufacturing.

What I'd like to do is allocate resources to a task on a group basis. eg Add the welders to the weld girders task. Give the numbers in each resource group allocating on an individual basis would be pain

Anybody got any ideas??? Thanks in anticipation

Ps I'm using Project98

You can create the resources as a group instead of as individual people. If the group works 3 shifts, you can use the 24 hr calendar to show round the clock work time. If not, you can use a standard or custom calendar. Make sure that you take into account the number of people in the group and the amount of work. Either break up the tasks into "1 person" parts or some other more convenient break out so that the amount of work you expect to do on a given task is roughly equal to the number of people in a group who will do it.

hmmm, kinda what I want.

What I'd like to do is create a resource group & specify a number of hours that it can do in a week, with out having to create any individual resources???

Possible or not???

the situation is that the users know that their department has approx 2000hrs per week available for use, now I'd like to be able to use these on as many or as few tasks as they wish i.e. throw 2000 man hrs at task x for one week and then split 2000hrs 7 ways the next.

& by default I'd like to have the available pool of hours allocated out in the way that project sees as best given the current state of all tasks to be compled

Thanks for your help

Yes, it should be possible. The resource group will have its own calendar with the number of hours you want to allot to it.

It seems that you may have a problem differentiating between the type of work, though. Having 2000 hours to do apparently any tasks seems way too general to me. But then, I don't know the situation as well as you do.

Hope this helps.

If I understand the question, it may also be helpful to assign a percentage tot he resource. Such as, if you have 5 welders but only want to assign one person, you can assign the group at 20%.

I set up the maximum units in my resource pool to reflect the number of people in the group. For example, there are 12 engineers at the E1 level, so E1 = 1200%. Each individual is also listed by name at 100% each. I then established a resource roll-up structure by setting up a customized outline code for 5 levels of information. The roll-up structure from the bottom up goes in this order: individual name, special skill, function, department, labor code, and group. I can do group summary calculations at any of these levels enabling me to compare individually resourced plans with rougher forecasts done by department. I haven't tried this in '98, so I don't know if outline codes are in that version. Hope this helps. klynn

I still don't know how to create resources as a group instead of as individual people, which I am thinking whether I can create a group account that I can assign task to it, is that possible?

Thanks for any suggestion!

Wen

klynn - that is very close to what I am trying to accomplish from scratch, and I'm not very savvy with Project. Any chance you could email me a "template" that I could modify? If so, email me at bondamie@hotmail.com

Thanks in advance,
Amie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back